Moose Units for Final Year As Resident

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28227

Hoping I can get some advice from the Hunt Talk community. I'm a Montana resident moving out of state winter of 2016, as my wife is starting medical school. As it is my last season as a resident I want to try and apply for Moose, Sheep and Goats. I'm looking on advice on Unit choice where I will have the best odds of drawing and still being able to locate an animal. Trophy size is not factor, and as I would consider any of these animals a trophy in and of themselves I would even take a Cow/Ewe tag. Because of this I'm ruling out the unlimited Sheep units as getting an animal is pretty darn tough to do with out a ton of time and experience.
Also yes I realize that at best I can probably expect 1%-2% draw odds, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I greatly appreciate any advice!!!

-Will

look at the draw odds from the previous year in the regulations, there are several districts with better than average draw odds for moose in the NW part of the state, and 313 (I think) for goat has the best draw odds in the state as well.

Move and keep putting in, your odds actually go up when you get in the non resident pool and what you are going to pay for a non resident moose tag/hunt is still way cheaper than going to Canada or AK. Especially if you have a few points, I wouldn't give up on hunting moose in Wyoming.

Move and keep putting in, your odds actually go up when you get in the non resident pool and what you are going to pay for a non resident moose tag/hunt is still way cheaper than going to Canada or AK. Especially if you have a few points, I wouldn't give up on hunting moose in Wyoming.

Your odds most certainly do not go up when you become a non-resident.

Move and keep putting in, your odds actually go up when you get in the non resident pool and what you are going to pay for a non resident moose tag/hunt is still way cheaper than going to Canada or AK.

Please math this for me. Residents can be 100% of the pool of tags, whereas non-residents can be "up to" 10%....or 0%.

Montana issued 360+ moose permits in the state last season. Non residents got 19 of those permits. Wllm, you better rub all the luck you may have off on your app this year, because once your a NR, your chances of drawing are slim. Ill send you a PM about a unit where ive seen some good bulls, I got nothing to lose cuz I don't even put in for moose, odd are just to low for me to justify the cost.

Yeah I gave up on moose in Mt two years ago gave up 7 points odds as non res are terrible. Good luck this year man hope you draw out. Just wasn't worth the cash to me for those odds I plan on a Canadian hunt soon for moose buy the tag over the counter. I still hope for a maine tag some day again.

Opps for some reason I was thinking of Wyo not Montana, no they don't go up in Montana they are still pretty poor. Good luck in the draw

Hoping I can get some advice from the Hunt Talk community. I'm a Montana resident moving out of state winter of 2016, as my wife is starting medical school. As it is my last season as a resident I want to try and apply for Moose, Sheep and Goats. I'm looking on advice on Unit choice where I will have the best odds of drawing and still being able to locate an animal. Trophy size is not factor, and as I would consider any of these animals a trophy in and of themselves I would even take a Cow/Ewe tag. Because of this I'm ruling out the unlimited Sheep units as getting an animal is pretty darn tough to do with out a ton of time and experience.
Also yes I realize that at best I can probably expect 1%-2% draw odds, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I greatly appreciate any advice!!!

-Will
Welcome to HT!!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back