Montanta ELK/DEER combination tag

02350FC

I am flirting with going to Montana for elk/deer. There is the $1000 combi tag but I can't find it in the regulations what the details of this are. Is this like having a either sex tag where it is good for one animal but it can be a deer or an elk or is this good for one deer and one elk?

Thanks

The elk/deer combo is good for 1 deer and 1 elk for general season...sex and species depends on which unit and what season (archery or rifle). Several units require a special permit to hunt.

For a good use of your Montana elk / deer combo tag, look at unit 330 in the Gravely Mountains, south of Virginia City. I just spoke with the wildlife biologist for that area and he said that the place is loaded with elk, and that there is good mule deer hunting in that area at lower elevations, and in many of the surrounding general units. Plus, the Madison River is very close where you can find world class fly fishing for trout.

Attachments

• IMG_20171102_191705.jpg
    IMG_20171102_191705.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 415
For a good use of your Montana elk / deer combo tag, look at unit 330 in the Gravely Mountains, south of Virginia City. I just spoke with the wildlife biologist for that area and he said that the place is loaded with elk, and that there is good mule deer hunting in that area at lower elevations, and in many of the surrounding general units. Plus, the Madison River is very close where you can find world class fly fishing for trout.

You sure he didn't mean loaded with hunters? Decent elk numbers but one of the most crowded units in the state due to the number of roads.

To the original poster go here http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/
Click on deer, elk, antelope and all of the information that you need will be there including maps and regulations for each unit.

The combo tag is also good for fishing and upland birds while there. If you draw the combo make sure you check the unit you choose to hunt in. Each unit can have different regs. That tag is only good for general hunt units not special draw areas. Lots of places to choose from on a general tag.

Back