Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Unlimited Sheep Stolen

MTbowhntr

A friend of mine had a true trophy of a lifetime stolen from his pickup last weekend. While returning from an unlimited unit hunt his bighorn sheep head and cape were stolen somewhere between Butte and Lolo. Several stops were made and it is unclear where the theft took place. One side of the sheep is freshly broken off from a 130' tumble after the shot. The cape will have a semi-circle gash from the fall between the horn and eye. The horns have not been plugged. If anyone has any info please PM me.

Unfortunately, the low life scums of the earth have to make themselves known. I hope they catch the thieves and the punishment is in accordance with the degree of this theft. If I were the judge, the thief would be regretting the day this idea ever entered his mind. Sorry to hear that.

That's crappy. Unlimited ram? Probably one of the hardest-earned sheep killed in the state of MT this year, and then some clown has to go and steal it.

That is loathsome. I will spread the word via BHA and MT BHA networks if you give me some contact info that can be posted publicly.

Man! that's sickening... My days ruined reading that, can't imagine what your friend must be feeling.

Worst part is that once the thief realizes they can't sell it it'll probably end up in a dumpster or dropped off in a ditch.

Yes, law enforcement, FWP, and several taxi shops have all been notified.

Wow, I guess never underestimate the human scum line.

A friend had this happen with elk antlers. He posted on Facebook and enough people shared it that they were found within a day.

Man, that's beyond low. Definitely try to get some pictures out there. Someone is bound to see it.

Congrats to your buddy on the Ram though. That is a tough hunt.

Just curious was it over the weekend so he had to come back to get it plugged? I know with sheep they want you to get them checked in the region they're killed.

Just curious was it over the weekend so he had to come back to get it plugged? I know with sheep they want you to get them checked in the region they're killed.

Per the regs you have 10 days to get it plugged and it can be done at any FWP office, only needs to be presented to a designated FWP employee within 48 hours in the admin region it was harvested.

Per the regs you have 10 days to get it plugged and it can be done at any FWP office, only needs to be presented to a designated FWP employee within 48 hours in the admin region it was harvested.

Top of page 35-

Bighorn Sheep Mandatory Reporting and Checking Requirements
• A hunter harvesting a bighorn ram must personally present the complete head and cape intact within 48-hours to any Fish, Wildlife & Parks office, game warden, or designated employee in the administrative region where the bighorn ram was taken. See page
49 for FWP office phone numbers.
• A hunter harvesting a bighorn sheep with a license valid for a “legal ram” must not alter the head and horns so as to affect determination of legality.
• Bighorn ram horns greater than one-half curl must be plugged or pinned at any Fish, Wildlife & Parks office within 10 days after harvest. A listing of designated personnel and phone numbers will be provided to all bighorn sheep license holders.

Not sure why it's different for checking and plugging? I always thought they were they same thing.

Not trying to derail the thread, sorry.

I evidently only read the first part of your post, sorry about that.

There has to be 2 sides to this story. Why would someone shoot a sheep in one of the unlimited areas and then drive clear over to Lolo without getting it checked in/plugged in the area it was taken. You can call any warden 24/7. I know - within 10 days he could again drive back half way across the State to get this done.

Multiple stops???? If this means stopping at every bar between Butte and Lolo with the sheep in the back of a pickup then he was just asking for trouble??? Not saying this is what happened.
Stealing is one of the things I can't stomach irrelevant of how it happened and I truely hope your friend gets his sheep back before the cape is ruined.

Wow, got to feel for your buddy, i hope the scumbags have a severe car crash with the sheep in the back and they get it returned to them.

Im not sure about you guys, but if i had an unlimited ram on board it would be riding very close and up front with me in the cab! Gee i hope it gets returned.

These types of people like to brag. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up but how do you prove its yours? I truly hope he gets it back.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back