Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana general walking opportunities

MTGomer

I got a non resident combo native tag.

After filling the schedule with friends stone sheep, mountain goat and desert bighorn as well as my own deer tag in AZ, I tried to turn it back in after not drawing a LE tag, like I have done the last two years.

I found out I couldn’t do that.

I asked what changed and was told nothing.

I asked why I was able to turn it in before and couldn’t get an answer, so I had a combo tag.

I came home for Thanksgiving.

Turkey SUCKS so I went hunting all day on Thanksgiving.

Black Friday sucks worse so I went hunting then.

Between these two days I walked 18 or 19 miles looking for a fresh track and also glassing big country with big expensive optics.
I saw nothing.

Dropping down to the trailhead on thanksgiving I saw a track of a solo elk I jumped. Wind was shit and his direction of travel was not ideal considering terrain, time left in day and most importantly wind, so I let him keep going without following.

Friday was a big walk on a main ridge separating two drainages with beautiful fingers and saddles on either side. I was looking for a track to follow. I didn’t find one.

On both days, I had a great vantage to see a ton of great country, so I glassed it. Animals and even tracks were non existent.

So were other hunters, so at-least that was positive.

Admittedly, these spots were a bit exploratory to me.

Saturday found me sleepy from long walking through snow. My mom said she wanted an elk so I figured I’d hit the old reliable rag horn spots. Usually I can glass at least 100 elk from these locations and dozens of deer.

By mid morning I had 8 cows found.

On Sunday I went into a different general unit.
I saw a whitetail doe at the trailhead. ON THE BOARD!

I hiked into my old stomping grounds. This places isn’t necessarily great hunting but I know it like the back of my hand. I’ve hunted here my entire life. My mom has hunted here her entire life. My grandfather has hunted here most of his. My great uncle outfitted this country for decades. We know the country as good or better than anybody.

I spent the day still hunting through some dark saddles with fresh snow hoping to find a fresh elk track or a bull in his bed while also glassing melted S facing slopes for mule deer.

Aside from the trailhead whitetail,
I saw nothing.

The populations or lack of is not a “you just gotta hunt harder” thing. These places are a wasteland.

Best of luck in the muzzleloader season to ya’ll

Attachments

• 2A6AA677-EB4F-46FA-9388-8D948D504EFB.jpeg
    2A6AA677-EB4F-46FA-9388-8D948D504EFB.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 151
  • A713EF10-9277-4695-BD17-1178575A6159.jpeg
    A713EF10-9277-4695-BD17-1178575A6159.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 0481AC77-3E1D-4D69-B921-B6E1AE57E1B6.jpeg
    0481AC77-3E1D-4D69-B921-B6E1AE57E1B6.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 3301A75E-4B31-4656-807C-9E13F42226EA.jpeg
    3301A75E-4B31-4656-807C-9E13F42226EA.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 3DAE634A-9B9C-44F7-BABA-1EEB2B4DCC0C.jpeg
    3DAE634A-9B9C-44F7-BABA-1EEB2B4DCC0C.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
By November 24, 250-ish thousand (and it will be more next year) license holders have been hammering the accessible elk and deer for the previous 77 days(worse in a shoulder season district). Those elk are where those hunters aren’t, but there’s a lot of them, so don’t worry elk numbers are good.

Honestly, to see your childhood hunting grounds go to shit sucks. I see it now. To think that it is the worst it’s been in generations, is disheartening.

It’s been awhile since i elk hunted MT. IIRC last year was 2001 on a Gen tag. Picked a spot on a map. Walked in. Day later had a nice little six point bull in the ground.

There are several guys on this website that I am 100% confident are better elk hunters than I will ever be. From their stories I am just as confident that what I did in 2001 just isn’t possible today. MT was always just a state to hunt after WY largely shut down seasons. Doesn’t bother me too much that it has so drastically changed. I get my fill in Wyo. But I suspect it is damn hard to see what it has become for the folks that have hunted it for so long. Just sucks! Doesn’t have to be that way.

Psh, 18 or 19 miles? To be successful on public you need to go "steep and deep"! You where only a mile or two from the elk...

At least you can be grateful for your opportunity to hunt our great state! have

*Insert sarcasm font

I can't speak for the rest of the State, but here in NW Montana, I think there are as many elk now as there has been in the 40 years I've hunted. Two problems though. 1) There are way, way, more people hunting now than ever before. Seems like everyone who moved to this area in the last few years is a hunter, and they seem to be able to hunt every day of the season. 2) A lot of the elk are no longer on huntable land. Land has been sold by Timber Companies and individuals who allowed hunting, and bought by individuals who don't allow hunting. Elk are learning where they are safe, there is a herd of a hundred about a mile from my house, and 5 years ago there were never elk anywhere close to me.

One of my best friends moved from Montana to go to school in Wyoming. That was 12 years ago, he always bitched about how Wyoming seasons are so short, "In Montana we can hunt for two months straight on a General".

Sure, but in a week of General season we can see and get on more elk than you can in two months of general public land hunting in Montana. The comment never really stuck...

One of my best friends moved from Montana to go to school in Wyoming. That was 12 years ago, he always bitched about how Wyoming seasons are so short, "In Montana we can hunt for two months straight on a General".

Sure, but in a week of General season we can see and get on more elk than you can in two months of general public land hunting in Montana. The comment never really stuck...
Where was he hunting in Montana? I started hunting here in 1964. The season back then opened around Oct 20 and closed Thanksgiving weekend. It still does. That's one month and a few days.

Edit: That's general rifle season. Bow hunters get an extra month. Maybe they shouldn't.

It was a pathetic season for me, as far as quality and quantity. Had the worst public land experiences in my life, due to other hunters. I believe something had to be done about the pressure, it’s to long and to many people in general areas..imo

I think a step in the right direction would be to make archery tags separate. Hunters would have to choose which season they want to hunt. They could only buy one general tag, either archery or rifle. An archery tag would NOT be valid during general rifle season.

I can't speak for the rest of the State, but here in NW Montana, I think there are as many elk now as there has been in the 40 years I've hunted. Two problems though. 1) There are way, way, more people hunting now than ever before. Seems like everyone who moved to this area in the last few years is a hunter, and they seem to be able to hunt every day of the season. 2) A lot of the elk are no longer on huntable land. Land has been sold by Timber Companies and individuals who allowed hunting, and bought by individuals who don't allow hunting. Elk are learning where they are safe, there is a herd of a hundred about a mile from my house, and 5 years ago there were never elk anywhere close to me.
I agree. I was here in NW Montana over Thanksgiving weekend and hunted elk the last day of the season in my old 70s and 80s stomping grounds. The only elk we saw were about thirty head feeding in a wheat field next to the highway at Creston (which is now essentially a suburb of Kalispell). I almost made it up to the gawd forsaken spot where I killed a spike back in 1981. Mostly I was wanting to take some photos of that spectacular place. I always felt the rugged terrain would shield that beautiful place from the ax. Sadly, I was wrong. Obviously it was helicopter logged shortly after I last hunted it. The amount of slash left on the ground was disgusting. Worst mess I've ever seen (I'm a former USFS employee during the heyday of wastefulness). Then a windstorm blew down most of what was left standing. Then a control burn jumped the creek and wiped out the adjacent mountain. A real mess. Totally barren of game. Not surprising given the tangle of crap on the ground. Only saw one large animal track. Probably a moose. Several days old and full of snow so hard to tell. Finally had to give up just before reaching the waterfall where I shot the elk. It was too dangerous. No cell coverage and the RINO battery died. Even a sprained ankle in that crap and snow storm would be life threatening. We had enough time to go over to the other mountain I hunted and it was in much better shape. Horse logged and roads gated. No elk tracks since it snowed a couple weeks ago. Lots of deer ... and endless train of road hunters. Glad I experienced that country before it was trashed and overrun.20221127_105452.jpg20221127_125646.jpg
Edit: The waterfall is located at the base of canyon barely visible to left of center in top photo. I almost made it there but figured it was pointless for hunting or photography. Both are ruined.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back