Montana preference point question

Kerry White is the gift that keeps on giving.

Funny thing about this. I was talking to a guy, hard line Republican and hater of FWP. He started bitchin about this and how FWP was just looking for money. I let it go for a bit then explained this was an R bill from Kerry White last session and FWP was just following law that Montana R's create when for 3 months every 2 years when they all become wildlife managers. By the time I was done we was defending White and was feeling OK about the bill. SMH

If you apply for a species in the regular draw and agree to pay the fee for the bonus point, can you buy another bonus point now?

I emailed FWP because I drew goat in 2010 and this was the last year I had to sit out from applying. I explained the situation and was told that I could purchase a bonus point right now with this option.

I don't think youngsters will be able to accumulate points before they're old enough to draw the tag. I have a 9-year-old son, and we live out of state. I just set him up online with an ALS. He turns 10 this summer, so he could buy a conservation license and a turkey license this year. But the system will not allow him to buy any preference or bonus points. In Montana, you have to be 12 to apply for any licenses through the draw and that seems to hold for preference or bonus points, as well.
I hope you're right, but there's nothing in the law precluding it. Were you looking in the hunting license section for them? If so, can you go back in with his ALS and look again? The bonus points are in their own section.

Screenshot (2).png

Just talked with FWP Licensing in Helena. There is no age restriction on youth and bonus points. As soon as they are born they can start buying points.

Kerry White has no firing brain cells.

Just talked with FWP Licensing in Helena. There is no age restriction on youth and bonus points. As soon as they are born they can start buying points.

Kerry White has no firing brain cells.
Perfect stocking stuffers for my two boys!!! :D

I hope you're right, but there's nothing in the law precluding it. Were you looking in the hunting license section for them? If so, can you go back in with his ALS and look again? The bonus points are in their own section.

View attachment 72363

This is crazy. I can't believe that they are going to allow this craziness with underage kids and hunters in the wait period. And if they are allowing it, I don't understand why my son doesn't have that option when I log in under his ALS#. Here's what the menu looks when I log in and click the "buy a license" button. (Sorry. I obviously had some issues when attaching the photo)

Attachments

• IMG_0576 (3).JPG
    IMG_0576 (3).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0576 (3).JPG
    IMG_0576 (3).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
To be clear "they" aren't allowing anything. This is law, passed by the 3 month, every other year in Helena, wildlife managers.

To be clear "they" aren't allowing anything. This is law, passed by the 3 month, every other year in Helena, wildlife managers.

Understood. Thank you. And just as a follow-up... I spoke with the folks at FWP and they're not sure why my son doesn't have the option either. They're looking into it. This whole thing is gonna be a little interesting.

I imagine there will be a mad scramble next session to correct many of these things. I too bought a point even though I am in the seven-year wait.

As others have said, it seems like a lot of details slipped through the cracks on this one. And it will almost definitely make draw odds even more ridiculous.
However, in the Fiscal Note, FWP estimated 10% of people would opt to not apply and would instead just purchase points in the fall. It will be interesting to see if that plays out or not.

In any case, As Cory Jacobsen has explained. For these trophy species, bonus points systems only benefit the people who get in right at the beginning. Then the system gets overloaded.

Apparently, it will raise about $400,000 extra each year for FWP. That's what was estimated anyway.

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2017/FNPDF/HB0623_1.pdf

Last edited:
I can confirm that the online system, at least, doesn't have an age restriction. Just bought my one-year-old points. I hope I don't get in trouble for lying about his height - it wouldn't let me put in anything under 3 feet :/

I imagine there will be a mad scramble next session to correct many of these things. I too bought a point even though I am in the seven-year wait.

As others have said, it seems like a lot of details slipped through the cracks on this one. And it will almost definitely make draw odds even more ridiculous.
However, in the Fiscal Note, FWP estimated 10% of people would opt to not apply and would instead just purchase points in the fall. It will be interesting to see if that plays out or not.

In any case, As Cory Jacobsen has explained. For these trophy species, bonus points systems only benefit the people who get in right at the beginning. Then the system gets overloaded.

Apparently, it will raise about $400,000 extra each year for FWP. That's what was estimated anyway.

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2017/FNPDF/HB0623_1.pdf

Interesting.

Thanks for digging that up Watt. $400K is nothing to sneeze at but there are probably better ways to raise funds for FWP. I agree that it'll get re-worked. That's why I got my sheep point on my 7 year wait.

More Points, More Raffle tags, More Governor Tags

Tragedy of the Commons, "Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush"

I'm still not understanding all of this. What's the difference between a license and a permit? I've seen people say there's no need to buy preference points because there's always licenses leftover and they're valid anywhere in the state. Am I misunderstanding this? As a NR, have I any reason to spend the $50 for a point for future elk hunts in Montana? Is this not a system like CO and WY where more points equals a better chance at a better unit?

Brachii, Montana has a different system than most states. First, there is the straight forward license that allows you to hunt most, but not all of the state. The preference points are to ensure you get a license, but to my knowledge, the big game combo license has never sold out since Montana switched to the current system, so most people do not buy them. Once you have your license, a permit allows you to hunt a specific, limited access area (in addition to the areas allowed under your license). Bonus points go towards the permits, which is what most of this discussion is about.

Thanks Phil-- so for a hunter, like me, who isn't necessarily interested in "trophies", a general license will suffice for a good elk or deer hunt? Even as a non resident, I won't need points?

I set up my 8 year old son yesterday with an ALS and the tab to select bonus points is unavailable. I also set my wife up with an ALS and she has the tab and I was able to get her points bought. Thinking this may have to do with the birthdate on the ALS number?

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm really only interested in someday hunting some of the limited permit elk areas. Do I need to buy both a bonus point (for the limited permit) and a preference point (to ensure I even draw a license at all)?

Brachii, if you just want an opportunity to elk hunt, no you don't need to buy the bonus points or worry about a permit. However, in addition to the potential for bigger "trophies" the limited entry areas have fewer hunters, by definition, if that matters to you.

TheTone, for what its worth, I have bought one preference point and don't intend to buy another since they now don't expire (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I figure its cheap insurance against the year I decide to hunt MT being the first year they sell out. Even if they sell out, because nobody buys points, even one would guarantee you a tag. I'm sure other people have different philosophies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back