Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana preference point question

If people thought it was hard to draw before, it's gonna be terrible now.
12 year olds going into drawings with 11 points, and people going back in the drawings with 7 points after their waiting period for moose, sheep, and goat sure ain't gonna help.

It's really more of a feel good measure in Montana. They aren't called Preference Points, but Bonus Points. Anyone serious about trying to draw a tag will spend the small amount it costs and purchase this extra chance, because that is what it is, a chance! Your name gets tossed in again for each bonus point, but again your odds aren't any better because everyone is doing the same thing. It does help fund FWP programs so it at least is used for a good cause.

It doesn't look like you can buy a bonus point if you're not eligible to apply for the drawing, so no 12 year olds with 11 points or successful drawers getting back in with 7.

It doesn't look like you can buy a bonus point if you're not eligible to apply for the drawing, so no 12 year olds with 11 points or successful drawers getting back in with 7.
You can't apply for bonus points without an ALS, so no kids with a bunch of points, but you can apply for bonus points without applying for the tag so MSG wait listers will be able to buy points. I doubt that it'll make a big difference seeing as the those draw odds are so abysmal to begin with. I'd be curious to know if the did an estimate to see how much money this will bring in to FWP, I can't imagine it'll be a whole lot seeing as it doesn't cost that much to apply, no real reason not to apply unlike states like WY or UT.

I might be a little behind the curve on Montana. Haven't started accumulating points in that state yet. I thought you had to apply and front the money for points in Montana? Has this changed? I see an option to where it says Bonus Points and another that says Preference Points. What is the difference?

Bonus points are applied when drawing for a special permit. Each bonus point gives you another chance in the drawing, but it's still a random drawing, theoretically allowing even an applicant with zero bonus points to draw a permit.

Preference points allow preference in drawing subsequent years for the nonresident big game license. Preference points also apply to landowner applications in certain instances.

Please read the law linked below and point out where it says you have to be eligible to apply for the drawing to buy a point. I know for a fact someone who had a moose license in 2015 could buy a point this year. And he's not eligible to apply because of the 7 year waiting period.

http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2017/billhtml/HB0623.htm

You can't apply for bonus points without an ALS, so no kids with a bunch of points, but you can apply for bonus points without applying for the tag so MSG wait listers will be able to buy points. I doubt that it'll make a big difference seeing as the those draw odds are so abysmal to begin with. I'd be curious to know if the did an estimate to see how much money this will bring in to FWP, I can't imagine it'll be a whole lot seeing as it doesn't cost that much to apply, no real reason not to apply unlike states like WY or UT.
Correct, you can't buy one if you don't have an ALS. Thing is, there's no restriction on when a person can get an ALS. My son got his way before he was old enough to go through Hunter Education.

Bonus points are applied when drawing for a special permit. Each bonus point gives you another chance in the drawing, but it's still a random drawing, theoretically allowing even an applicant with zero bonus points to draw a permit.

Preference points allow preference in drawing subsequent years for the nonresident big game license. Preference points also apply to landowner applications in certain instances.

Everyone should understand this. Preference points don't help you with any special permits in the draw - Bonus points do.

Correct, you can't buy one if you don't have an ALS. Thing is, there's no restriction on when a person can get an ALS. My son got his way before he was old enough to go through Hunter Education.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I suppose a youth could get a trapping license and and ALS before they are 12 now that I think about it.

I don't think youngsters will be able to accumulate points before they're old enough to draw the tag. I have a 9-year-old son, and we live out of state. I just set him up online with an ALS. He turns 10 this summer, so he could buy a conservation license and a turkey license this year. But the system will not allow him to buy any preference or bonus points. In Montana, you have to be 12 to apply for any licenses through the draw and that seems to hold for preference or bonus points, as well.

I can't verify the under 12 thing, but I can now buy a moose and goat bonus point on the site, even though I'm on the 7 year wait for both.

This is going to (rightfully) piss a lot of people off.

Kerry White is the gift that keeps on giving.

I drew a general elk permit this year. Can I buy either of a preference point or a bonus point this year that will help in next year's drawing? I am assuming no for sure on the bonus point. I am a NR.

I can't verify the under 12 thing, but I can now buy a moose and goat bonus point on the site, even though I'm on the 7 year wait for both.

This is going to (rightfully) piss a lot of people off.

Kerry White is the gift that keeps on giving.

This has to be something that sort of slipped through the cracks, right? I can't imagine that one of the intentions was to give the wait-period guys and gals some way to benefit during their 7-year-wait. Interesting....

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back