MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana or Idaho ???? Spring Bear

Dead Head

Trying to set up a hunt with some buddies and just wondering what you experts would choose??? We would be hunting non-resident think both state's would be OTC but would idaho be abit hard with people running hounds or baiting going on...we would be spot and stalk.... Thanks for any info

Jeremiah

I've never hunted bear, but I've never had a problem running into them in SW Montana in the spring while hiking and shed hunting. Not good a judging the size of bears, but there's plenty of them running around the woods down here.

Good question I figure this will be my first spring of bear hunting as well so I'll see what comes out on here.

I am just going to go try it in Montana and see what happens worst case scenario is I am out a $1,000 bucks but will have life long memories.

174in where part of the state are u heading too.....

mdunc8 are u south of butte or are u farther west than that....

I'm in SW Montana. Draw a 100 mile radius around Bozeman and you'll be in the area I hike in the spring. I've seen bears in every mountain range.

Montana for a great spot and stalk experience, Idaho if you want to try a bait hunt. Don't be in a hurry to hit the opening week. Back half of the spring season is my suggestion. Let the snow melt and the green grass grow. Have fun!

Montana is more expensive, but you don`t have to worry about competing baiters/houndsmen. Do you have a certain terrain or type of hunt you`re looking for?

Randy 11
I think that we have nailed it down to montana just to stay away from the baiters and hounds. Nothing wrong with that just dont have hounds and alittle to far to start baiting and montana's abit closer... As far as the terrain it doesnt matter we are all in are late 20's and in good shape still so we better be able to make it thou most terrain. I"am leaning to south of bozeman around the west yellowstone entrance in the NF or around the Bob marshall National Forest up by glacier national park....I dont know it's a shot in the dark that is why iam so thankfull for the website.. I have a idea but not really good so everybody please pipe in your two cents ... thanks for all the advice so far... We are planning the last week of the season to let the grass grow and the snow to melt like that last guy said....

Jeremiah

I"am leaning to south of bozeman around the west yellowstone entrance in the NF or around the Bob marshall National Forest up by glacier national park...

Lots of the bigger, browner ones in both those spots.

Randy11

Maybe my spots are alittle off then... Or is there some black bears around there ill just have to be carefull of what i'am going after... Is there some better spots that you could point me in.. Thanks alot

Jeremiah

ID would be better. There's places where hounds aren't allowed. If I were a NR with limited time, that's where I'd look.

We have no shortage of bears up around these parts. They really don't even get much pressure, IMHO. If FWP would just let us go two weeks to June 15, I think we could do much better. Its slow at the start, then those last couple weeks, the bears are everywhere. You will be able to get most places at the end of May. I was just organizing some trail cam pics from the past couple years, my gosh, I get a lot of bears on camera. No bait or anything either, just on roads and trails.

Sorry, both those spots have lots of black bears, didn`t mean to deter you from them. Just pointing out that there`s both species there.

I'am new to bear hunting but would the best thing to do is walk in a few miles set up base camp and then everyday spike in a differnt direction or do u watch the same hill side every mourning and night waiting for some movement. I have a real hard time sitting in one spot all day I like to move around.. Do bears have a general spot that they live in and thats there territory or do them move around alot....

Thanks for everything and all the tips that you guys are giving me.. If anybody ever wants to hunt the praire's of south dakota for deer, pheasants,goats just get ahold of me...

Jeremiah

I am far from an expert, but what seems to work for me is walking or biking these old grassed in logging roads looking for sign. From the trail cam pics I get, younger bears don't seem to move too far as I get them over and over on cam, the older bigger bears, I only get one in a long while. Purely unscientific, but kind of tells me the bigger more mature bears have a bigger area they stomp around in, probably looking for females to hang near.

Glassing avalanche chutes and open parks(which are clear cuts in this part of the state) where grass is greening up is a sure-fire way to find bears as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back