Montana NR application process

mconway951

I am looking at applying to hunt deer and antelope in Montana except I am really confused by there website everything i see is deer elk combo tags and no idea when to put in for either. Can someone just give me a run down of the system and if there is just a preference point option.
Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.
Mike

Combo tags include fishing and upland bird and either an elk, deer or both. There are also outfitter sponcored versions of each. You can only apply for one.

If you want to hunt deer apply for the deer, its about a 15% draw. If you want to hunt both apply for the big game its about a 50% draw.

The elk or deer tag is good for most all units in the state, you must have it before you can apply for special license in 'trophy' units. That app is due June 1.

There is no point only option. If you apply and fail to draw you get a point.

Antelope is a seperate drawing, apps are due the 1st of June and are unit specific.'

Good luck if you put in.

I think I have narrowed it down to zone 705 that i would like to hunt found the draw odds for antelope ok but just wondering i think it has to be a draw for deer as well if it is does anyone know where I can find the draw odds I looked in the resources section and could not find it also I was wondering I have never elk hunted but according to another website that 705 area has lots of elk is this true and would it be worth my time to put in for deer elk combo and what would the draw odds of that be.
This would be a public land diy hunt with rifles as well.
Thank you so much for your help guys.

I think I have narrowed it down to zone 705 that i would like to hunt found the draw odds for antelope ok but just wondering i think it has to be a draw for deer as well if it is does anyone know where I can find the draw odds I looked in the resources section and could not find it also I was wondering I have never elk hunted but according to another website that 705 area has lots of elk is this true and would it be worth my time to put in for deer elk combo and what would the draw odds of that be.
This would be a public land diy hunt with rifles as well.
Thank you so much for your help guys.

Reread what I posted above. Montana has general areas and special areas. General areas can be hunted with a general tag, special areas require a special license to be used WITH your general tag. In other words you must draw a combo tag of some sort before you can apply for the special licenses. 705 is a general area for deer, but a special draw for elk. The draw odds are very low for elk. Look it up in the regulations. Probably around 2-3%.

So if you wanted to hunt deer only you'd be looking at about a 15-20% chance of drawing a general deer tag, if you wanted both deer and elk you'd be looking at around 50% chance of drawing the combo tag, but only 2-3% chance of drawing an elk licnese for that particular area. However your general elk tag is good for the majority of the state which are not 'special' areas. Get a set of regulations and start digesting.

Area 705 does have a lot of elk, but as Bambistew stated the tags are hard to get. However, you can hunt cow elk in almost all of region 7 (except 700) on a general tag as long as its not on Custer National Forest. Region 703 does have elk in scattered here and there and it is an either sex on a general tag. That said, the elk there reside on private property. The ranchers do let the public hunt them but its difficult to get permission if you don't know someone or they don't know you. If you archery hunted they are talking of changing the regs to allow most areas of region 7 on one tag for either sex, but it will only be for archery.

There is also some BMA in area 704 with elk, but the 2 of them get hit very hard during the opening week and the elk retreat to the national forest where you need a permit to kill a bull or cow. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back