MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

A first easy step is to limit buck mule deer hunting to a few weeks in October. Give that 5-10 years to see how much if any it helps bucks survive to older age classes.

It would be great if that was enough, it might not be. It may well be that if the public wants mature mule deer bucks on the landscape in any meaningful numbers, the hunting of mule deer bucks may have to go to a permit system. If the tags were limited enough, we could hunt them in the rut once again, a tradition Montana hunters have felt entitled to do.

I may be in the minority, but I would not be surprised if @OntarioHunter buck is 6 years old. Some bucks just never get a big set of antlers no matter how old they get. If that buck is six I would also put forth that this is the best set of antlers he ever grew. I have seen several buck like the one Ontario shot live to an older age. It can be hard to find some one willing to shoot them on Private land. Likely quite a few pass these bucks on public land too. Never hard to find some one willing to shoot a nice deep forked four point even if they are only two. We need more hunters like Ontario, not fewer.

Personally I believe there are now places where there are no bucks left by the end of the season to service the does. I have no way to prove this, but how long do you have to glass does without seeing a buck of any age class to begin to wonder?
I have also noticed this. When I was young, if you could find a herd of 8 or more does there was always a good buck close by. Not so much any more. Older bucks almost never gather up a harem of does and stick with them now days. To do so is a sure way to die young. Now when I find a big group of does mid November they are often accompanied by a fork horn if any buck at all even on private land. I am also seeing quite a few really small fawns into Aug.

I have also noticed this. When I was young, if you could find a herd of 8 or more does there was always a good buck close by. Not so much any more. Older bucks almost never gather up a harem of does and stick with them now days. To do so is a sure way to die young. Now when I find a big group of does mid November they are often accompanied by a fork horn if any buck at all even on private land. I am also seeing quite a few really small fawns into Aug.
My dad said the same thing to me this season. "When I was younger, the big groups of does always had an older buck with them. Now it's more common to see the older bucks alone with a single doe like the whitetails will do." He said the same thing - nicer bucks that hang out with doe groups end up dead.

My dad said the same thing to me this season. "When I was younger, the big groups of does always had an older buck with them. Now it's more common to see the older bucks alone with a single doe like the whitetails will do." He said the same thing - nicer bucks that hang out with doe groups end up dead.
So good bucks are doing the pump and dump? Man what a bunch of deadbeat dads :ROFLMAO:

Who at the check station told you that?
The tech who took samples for CWD at the district office. The guy at the tannery who caped it also confirmed it is an old buck (I will sell the cape). Missing one front tooth and another broken off short. Molars are very short. Kinda looks like an old buck to me. Three big guys couldn't lift it up. It ain't no dink.
20231121_113037.jpg

Don't think I've ever seen an 87 page thread for deer hunting in CO, WY, ID, or ND, so there must be a reason for that. Also don't think I've heard anyone hunting those states say that they don't have decent opportunity or feel they might be at the point where there's not enough bucks to breed all the does.

State by state summary:
ND: OTC archery into January and limited rifle in November
CO: limited entry for every unit, no OTC units for deer
ID: primarily Oct rifle
WY: primarily Oct rifle
MT: 6 week free for all through Thanksgiving

All I know is I'd much rather have a deer tag in any of those other states and I only see the gap widening each season.

It took a day and a morning of hard hunting for me to shoot my buck this year on BMA land. Never takes more than two days. Saw about 25 deer including this and two other nice bucks - one a massive whitetail ... that I missed. I think I saw less deer this year but hard to make a quantity assessment when only in the field a few hours every season.
View attachment 303796
@Big Fin shot an old buck with spindly antlers too. It'd be interesting to see a similar photo of yours for comparison.

I can’t really relate to or understand wanting to kill a young buck every year, but I don’t have any problem with individuals that feel that way if it makes them happy. My only issue is the hunting them when those young deer are so vulnerable with little if any regulation in place to protect some of them. But if you have a valid tag and it makes you happy, I don’t judge anyone for taking a young buck.
Your a better man than me I judge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back