Caribou Gear

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

one in ten may be able to get the job done, but I would bet money that there are negative consequences too the herd that we have yet to understand.
Possible, but no research has teased it out yet.
Montana’s AHM document for prairie breaks calls for 30-60 fawns:100 adults (note, not does) for their standard regulations. I would think that striving for a minimum 60 fawns:100 does or fawns as a recruitment rate is unrealistic and would imagine that doesn’t happen often.

10:100 bucks:does is the standard minimum but some literature and other pieces of info suggest that if you get too high in your buck:doe ratios you’ll see a decline in fawn recruitment, which would yield reduced populations over time. I don’t know the magic number but would think it changes a little every year anyway depending on conditions.

Edited to add that the sweet spot is something over that but maybe not more than what trophy units manage for?
I think I was referencing data from WY, and I believe that they were using pre-winter ratios. So you would expect the spring ratio to be lower, which is I believe the metric FWP uses? Sorry for the mix-up

Possible, but no research has teased it out yet.

I think I was referencing data from WY, and I believe that they were using pre-winter ratios. So you would expect the spring ratio to be lower, which is I believe the metric FWP uses? Sorry for the mix-up
Yes, spring would definitely be lower and that’s what FWP uses. Thanks for the clarification! Interesting that WY uses pre-winter; assuming the do post-winter counts too though?

What is the acceptable doe-to-fawn and doe-to-buck ratios according to everyone? A little specific to the eastern MT guys here.. Additionally, what should the overall deer herd count be in hunters or (HT) opinions.. What kind of numbers would it take, that would be satisfactory in regions 4, 6, and 7? Considering an increasing population of resident hunters.. say just over the next 10-15 years. How can we find a balance between resident satisfaction, and accommodating non-resident hunters? How many mule deer would need to be added over the next 10 years to accomplish said satisfactory rate? Kinda going off Randy's last video.. but what would that look like to you guys who live out east?
Getting back to “average” would be a good start

Ok, what we know about "runt bucks", at least from literature, is this. A buck born into poor maternal conditions prioritizes excess nutrients throughout his life into increasing body condition rather than bigger antlers. No, logically, any breeding this buck does would also pass those genetics on to his offspring.

Now, lets look at what genetic characteristics we could be creating a genetic bottleneck for with heavy hunting pressure. Could we be affecting antler size? I believe yes, potentially. However, given good quality habitat, you would expect there to be bucks that prioritize antler growth over body condition (given current research) so there should still be some out there. But, we don't know enough about mule deer genetics to be certain of that.

Could we be affecting fawn body condition by killing bucks....I think that is a really hard position to argue, but I'd be interested in a lit review to see if there is anything out there. I know there is research out there that identifies high buck to doe ratios has showing negative survival effects on fawns.

Edit: Post above points that out.

It’s been ages since I read this paper but it was about selective and intensive harvest pressure on bighorn rams influencing horn genetics. Sheep populations are generally smaller/more isolated (more easily genetically-manipulated maybe?) and pressure is generally way, way more skewed to the larger individuals in the population than deer/elk hunting is. Deer and elk hunting populations are also much larger in general and probably more genetically diverse? Spitballing there but it makes sense to me so I’m running with it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that in some cases hunting influences horn/antler genetics, but I have a hard time seeing it have those effects on deer and elk unless every male harvested was the best of the best. Harvest is so much more spread out across the age and size classes in deer/elk than in sheep.

There’s probably a lot more going on too with survival rates, who does the bulk of the breeding, when harvest occurs, etc.) to make it really complicated, really quickly. Interesting to ponder.

What is the acceptable doe-to-fawn and doe-to-buck ratios according to everyone? A little specific to the eastern MT guys here.. Additionally, what should the overall deer herd count be in hunters or (HT) opinions.. What kind of numbers would it take, that would be satisfactory in regions 4, 6, and 7? Considering an increasing population of resident hunters.. say just over the next 10-15 years. How can we find a balance between resident satisfaction, and accommodating non-resident hunters? How many mule deer would need to be added over the next 10 years to accomplish said satisfactory rate? Kinda going off Randy's last video.. but what would that look like to you guys who live out east?
Most other mule deer states manage for buck-to-doe ratios of 20-45 (with most being 30+). Colorado's statewide average is 30 bucks per 100 doe's. sclancy referenced the Wyoming Range earlier, that ratio is currently 24 to 100 which is one of the lowest on record. Anything above 20 bucks would be more preferential than the bare minimum that we currently have in a lot of MT.

Last edited:
There are coyotes everywhere it seems anymore. There was a local guy who sat a dead pile at a nearby feedlot this winter for about 4 hours one night this winter. He shot 41 coyotes with his suppressed rifle.

There was a coyote calling contest in Winnet/Grassrange early dec. 36 teams killed 340 coyotes in the two-day event.
Hats off to those that put up those numbers, there are becoming more derbys taking place along the high line as well.

It’s been ages since I read this paper but it was about selective and intensive harvest pressure on bighorn rams influencing horn genetics. Sheep populations are generally smaller/more isolated (more easily genetically-manipulated maybe?) and pressure is generally way, way more skewed to the larger individuals in the population than deer/elk hunting is. Deer and elk hunting populations are also much larger in general and probably more genetically diverse? Spitballing there but it makes sense to me so I’m running with it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that in some cases hunting influences horn/antler genetics, but I have a hard time seeing it have those effects on deer and elk unless every male harvested was the best of the best. Harvest is so much more spread out across the age and size classes in deer/elk than in sheep.

There’s probably a lot more going on too with survival rates, who does the bulk of the breeding, when harvest occurs, etc.) to make it really complicated, really quickly. Interesting to ponder.
I think we may be illustrating the differences between the way ranchers and biologists think about managing a herds numbers. Ranchers tend to manage on an individual animal by animal basis. Biologists manage based on the herd as a whole. The problem for the rancher approach, it is very hard to manage by the individual in the wild. The problem biologists need to tackle in the future is hunters are no longer harvesting a "gate cut" like they did thirty years ago.

Last edited:
I think we may be illustrating the differences between the way ranchers and biologists think about managing a herd numbers. Ranchers tend to manage on an individual animal by animal basis. Biologists manage based on the herd as a whole. The problem for the rancher approach, it is very hard to manage by the individual in the wild. The problem biologists need to tackle in the future is hunters are no longer harvesting a "gate cut" like they did thirty years ago.
I think you nailed it. What’s a gate cut?

There are coyotes everywhere it seems anymore. There was a local guy who sat a dead pile at a nearby feedlot this winter for about 4 hours one night this winter. He shot 41 coyotes with his suppressed rifle.

That is amazing. How do they even find enough food to survive with those numbers?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back