Montana Late Season: Which Mountain Range

benches-06.jpg

Because somebody needed to do it. ;) Welcome aboard!

A bench on a topo map will be where the contours get farther apart, but on either side they are close together, basically where things flatten out, but its steep on either side. Size wise pretty variable though, could be 50' wide, could be 1/2 mile or bigger.

Next year you should find a place to fish where your elk tag is valid. You'll probably still fish more than scout, but at least you'll know how to get there. :D

The fact of the matter is it's likely there isn't a single mountain anywhere in the state without an elk on it somewhere. Strap the boots on and go find them. I once had a guy tell me the way to hunt elk is to start walking, and then keep walking. When you feel like you can't take another step, walk some more. Enough of that and you will put the pieces together as to where to go and what to look for. Good elk hunters get that way through experience and time spent.

The fact of the matter is it's likely there isn't a single mountain anywhere in the state without an elk on it somewhere. Strap the boots on and go find them. I once had a guy tell me the way to hunt elk is to start walking, and then keep walking. When you feel like you can't take another step, walk some more. Enough of that and you will put the pieces together as to where to go and what to look for. Good elk hunters get that way through experience and time spent.

I'm sure there's plenty of truth to this, but I feel like I spend tons of time walking and not near enough behind glass. Of the hunters I know that are most successful year after year, they all spend a heck of a lot more time looking through glass than I do, that's one thing I'm working on. I think there's got to be a combination of lots of boot miles and even more glass miles.

Its certainly true that there's not a mountain that doesn't have an elk on it, I even think there's probably very few drainages on FS that don't contain elk.

Last edited:
So, even though you have not spewed massive amounts of crap like other on here I feel like everybody deserves at least a chance at elk. So after they have made you feel bad for catching more fish than they have.... the belts are good and will give you a good chance at least finding one but also keep in mind that the more options for legal elk the better, somewhere you can shoot a bull or a cow. And when you are on google earth look for a place where you have great cover for really scared elk to hide, areas for them to feed anything with decent amounts of grass close and water nearby that does not require them to run past hunters every morning on their way to bed, if there are roads, leave the road, unless they are roads that are locked off then those are great access points. So find this canyon/basin/bowl/area and find a glassing point, (still on google earth) that will allow you to spot the elk moving at first and last light. Be ready to hike in and out in the dark and have everything you need to cut up your elk on the mountain. Many areas of SW MT are good too but often limit your chances because they require brow-tine bulls which are dang hard to find after a while.
For next year try these 2 things, find an area that has decent access and apply for a cow tag in that area these elk B licenses make it much easier to find elk that are legal and they still leave your general tag in your pocket. also find a HD that holds good elk habitat and lots of agricultural areas and apply for the game damage hunt in that area for elk. The hunts are cow only but the success rate is often high if you get picked. these can take place anytime between Aug. 15 and jan 15th I believe. The deadline to sign up is in july I think but make sure you pick an area not too far from home because these hunt often pop-up with little time for preparation if you get picked.
Good Luck and don't forget to walk!

Scouting is for suckers.

I'm flying out to MT next week. DIY and figure I have a pretty good chance to fill a tag. Just from following this forum!

Oh, wait. That's not it. I have two kids that have spent their college years, and a ton of my money, in MT. Now most of my flyfishing gear, half of my camping gear, a couple of rifles(I really miss that Model 70 FWT) and who knows what else, is living out it's life expectancy in the BoZone.

But it appears to be working out. At least their priorities are well aligned. College Boy #1, in particular, has the fish-hunt fever. He tagged along with me when we lived in WY a dozen and more years back and watched antelope, deer and elk drop. He's not a boy any more. Now, if he doesn't produce a buck or a bull for the Old Man, then we will have to have a little sit down. I will want to know what he's been doing with his time when he should be scouting. Although the truth is he has been spending a lot of time in the mountains.

And the further truth is that it is a tremendous joy to share your passion with your children. I am a lucky man. Still, he better make it happen.

Think I'm expecting too much?

Nah Bokh, your son D will produce.....he works his butt off and has learned the area so well in such a short time.....Now if I could only help him get a dam antelope buck in SW MT........

AH- the whack jobs are the only ones that actually catch carp on a fly....eliminates most of the 'trout" anglers.The savy ones don't talk about it too much.You are in the club,like it ,or not.:hump:River carp rule!

I'm sure there's plenty of truth to this, but I feel like I spend tons of time walking and not near enough behind glass. Of the hunters I know that are most successful year after year, they all spend a heck of a lot more time looking through glass than I do, that's one thing I'm working on. I think there's got to be a combination of lots of boot miles and even more glass miles.

Its certainly true that there's not a mountain that doesn't have an elk on it, I even think there's probably very few drainages on FS that don't contain elk.

I was a little tongue in cheek, there is more to that conversation about walking and walking. I had a guy tell me this in a restaurant in Gardiner after I'd spent the morning packing a bull out. He didn't know we'd got one and was giving his best advice on finding elk. My point was you likely won't shoot one from the cab of your truck and the more miles/time logged, and the more places you check out the more you will learn.

AH- the whack jobs are the only ones that actually catch carp on a fly....eliminates most of the 'trout" anglers.The savy ones don't talk about it too much.You are in the club,like it ,or not.:hump:River carp rule!

I've never done the river carp thing. We like to stalk them in the shallows of lakes.

Not trying to hijack the thread....but I saw the avatar pic and had to comment.As for the real topic, I have killed three bulls in the Big Belts,great place to hunt but separate yourself from the average hunter.Plenty of ground, and bulls for the taking.

Check out the little belts too. Both belts will produce an elk as I have killed a few in each. Perhaps next summer just take an extended weekend just once to hike around these places. You see it took me five archery/rifle seasons to learn my areas to where I close my eyes and can see every step in those mountains. Cant exactly draw you the golden elk map. Enjoy the fishing, enjoy the hiking and have a great time.

Back