Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana HD 413

G. McAlister

Hey all, I am planning to try to get a general Elk/Deer combo tag for the 2018 hunting season. I have been trying to e-scout in advance to have some idea of where to go, as I have never hunted elk, or in Montana. Right now I am thinking unit HD 413 north of the little belt mountains, but still in the national forest. Does anyone have any advice on this area, good or bad, or other suggestions if you don't think it would be worth the time or effort to hunt this area?

I don't care to do the work for an elk, but if there is no access/camping/whatever, or too much camping/access/whatever, I would like to take all that into account before I pick a final spot.

Also, if I have misunderstood the regs, and you have to draw this unit, please let me know. You western guys have a good way to confuse the daylights out of us flatlanders.

Feel free to PM and thanks in advance.

Could you PM me? I plan to hunt 413 this November. Was hoping I could pick your brain.
Excellent opportunities can be found in this district. Most of the low lands found in the northern end of the district will be comprised almost entirely of private lands that you can hunt if you knock on the landowners door after you knock a trophy down, yet some tremendous public land opportunities can be found. In the higher elevations of the district on the south end nearly all of the land is publicly accessible. For hunters looking for a solitary experience there is quite a bit of roadless areas that can be hunted to escape the sparse crowds in other parts of the unit. In general, you can expect a fun hunt in this district with good chances at the opportunity of a lifetime.
The district offers terrain to satisfy nearly every hunter. On the northern end of the district the landscape is mostly flat, with crop lands stretching across the entirety of the district.

There are many options available for lodging in this area ranging from RV parks and campgrounds to multiple hotels and motels. Local gas stations provide ample gambling opportunities for those willing to risk chili dogs and day old burritos. For those looking to win a few bucks, Great Falls offers the loosest slots around. There are several sporting goods stores located in Great Falls. Groceries, tobacco, whiskey, and other amenities can also be found in Great Falls. Camping is permitted on Forest Service lands for up to 14 days.

Excellent opportunities can be found in this district. Most of the low lands found in the northern end of the district will be comprised almost entirely of private lands that you can hunt if you knock on the landowners door after you knock a trophy down, yet some tremendous public land opportunities can be found. In the higher elevations of the district on the south end nearly all of the land is publicly accessible. For hunters looking for a solitary experience there is quite a bit of roadless areas that can be hunted to escape the sparse crowds in other parts of the unit. In general, you can expect a fun hunt in this district with good chances at the opportunity of a lifetime.
The district offers terrain to satisfy nearly every hunter. On the northern end of the district the landscape is mostly flat, with crop lands stretching across the entirety of the district.

There are many options available for lodging in this area ranging from RV parks and campgrounds to multiple hotels and motels. Local gas stations provide ample gambling opportunities for those willing to risk chili dogs and day old burritos. For those looking to win a few bucks, Great Falls offers the loosest slots around. There are several sporting goods stores located in Great Falls. Groceries, tobacco, whiskey, and other amenities can also be found in Great Falls. Camping is permitted on Forest Service lands for up to 14 days.
Well thought out and well written,it makes me want to hunt there and I don’t even hunt Montana.😂😂

Great write up. Do you know any drainages that hold elk? I don’t want your honey hole and I don’t need to kill the biggest one there.

Great Falls offers the loosest slots around.
That’s what she said

Back