Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Montana Draw

Points are overrated. I drew first choice elk, and first choice deer, both party apps with my son. Beat some long odds..

Points again here...congrats to those who drew. Looking forward to some great threads this fall!!

Anybody else have some really strange results???? I am pretty confused with what popped up when I typed in the ALS info for a couple of our applications. I put in for the same district for elk every single year..... and like many / most of you, I am VERY, VERY careful with my applications. Nothing can ruin a season faster than missing out on a tag you are expecting. This was my daughters first year of eligibility for special elk permit, and we have friends with a great private ranch she could hunt.... I put her in at the same time I put my wife and I in.... and what do you know, her results came back "Unsuccessful 410-21"... which is a breaks archery tag.... She is 13 years old and doesn't have bowhunter's safety yet.

I wrote that off as somehow I messed up the application. I even checked the email confirmation that was sent to me ( of course I didn't check it earlier) and sure enough it shows her first choice as 410-21. I promise you I didn't confuse the district numbers, as I am VERY familiar with the application process and know most of the districts in the state off the top of my head... I am sure many here can relate. The only thing I could figure, was that I somehow clicked the wrong district, or scrolled the mouse before hitting submit, or something like that. To me it would make sense if the unit she applied for was close to the one we intended... like one number off or a different 2 digit suffix. But this one wasn't even in the same region. Oh well..... Guess I will be more careful next time.

Then I get a call from my buddy... I take his kids hunting every year, and have even posted some pics of them here. When he checked their results the two rifle bull applications came back unsuccessful, which was no big surprise... but his older son was really looking forward to his first archery season and we put him in for a 900-20 tag. His results read "Successful- 620-21". Now we are starting to see a pattern.... both kids applications end up landing "randomly" on two of the highest tag count units in the state???? What are the odds of that? I smell a rat?

I am not a conspiracy theorist... and generally accept that the most reasonable answer is usually the truth. So, believe me when I say that I understand most will think I just goofed up the applications somehow... and if any of my friends or family told me this happened to them, I would chalk it up as "pilot error". But there are just too many things in this situation that don't add up.

- I was present when both applications were plugged into the computer. They were entered on two different days, on two different computers. I did the first one myself, and my buddy and I did his kids together, and both checked everything before hitting submit.

- I find it really odd that the two districts they "randomly" landed on are super high volume districts.... is it possible that someone else's application somehow got crossed with these ones?

- It would make sense if the the districts they landed on were transposed numbers of the intended units, or at least close enough on the drop down list of districts to be clicked by mistake... in both cases they ended up in completely different regions.

- In both cases multiple applications were submitted at the same time for the same district, and those came out fine.

I know there isn't really any re-course here to get this fixed, as the permits have been dealt out already... but am very curious to know if anyone else has experienced this or heard of it happening. Next year I am printing the confirmations, taking pictures of the screen and anything else I can think of to document my applications.

I took the safe route.... Me and a buddy drew a NR general deer tag. Hopefully this will be a year I can improve from my current (1st muley) mount. For those who missed out on their tags, just remember good things come to those who wait (or I suppose........ FORCED to wait). See ya out there!

I took the safe route.... Me and a buddy drew a NR general deer tag. Hopefully this will be a year I can improve from my current (1st muley) mount. For those who missed out on their tags, just remember good things come to those who wait (or I suppose........ FORCED to wait). See ya out there!

Also just remember that Montana has one of the best general tags for both deer and elk... Still can get a good bull or buck with gen tag...

Also just remember that Montana has one of the best general tags for both deer and elk... Still can get a good bull or buck with gen tag...

For sure! Even if I dont get anything, its an absolutely incredible experience to be out in Montana country! At minimum..... I'll learn more, and burn a few calories.

Turns out I DO get to scout mule deer again all summer! What're the chances of someone drawing that tag with zero bonus points?

Randy you have a golden egg on these elk permits in Mt congrats. I'm still stoked on my permit and Randy11 surely not the same tag as last year? I hope so loved that thread another would be awesome......

Last edited:
Crying on the keyboard at my house. Goose eggs all around. At least this will free up my time for the sheep tag I'm going to draw.....

Turns out I DO get to scout mule deer again all summer! What're the chances of someone drawing that tag with zero bonus points?

Don't hate the player, hate the game :) In all honesty I was just going for a bonus point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back