Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana Deer Management Survey Results

There are other options, save your penny's and and lease up some private ground. Take management into your own hands and leave FWP out of the loop. Maybe it isn't financially in the cards for you and many others, but plenty of others are going to see this as a viable option. You working stiffs can have the crumbs that are left on Public land or set on the fence and pray something jumps to the right side.

The tough part is that we are never going to hit rock bottom on private land, so there is always going to be people unwilling to give up opportunity because they are willing to pay for it or they are cashing in on the benefits. The longer we continue to manage for opportunity the more entrenched pay to hunt will become in Montana. We should have ditched opportunity management 30 years ago, but you can not go back in time. It is not going to be easy to change coarse. UPOM was started because FWP did the right thing and went to limited archery in the Breaks. Lots of people are making money off of all the hunting opportunity in Montana. They are not going to just give it up.

I could be feeling overly sarcastic today or I could be jabbing at the hypocrisy of those that are demanding more opportunity one day and bitching about the commercialization of hunting the next. Maybe a bit of both.
I dig what you’re saying, I do….

I’ll give you 1000 bucks to hunt your land even if I don’t see a thing……

Not really. I’m a broke loser, but I’ve tried this with lots of folks and you’d be surprised at the old lady’s that’ll pay to play….. sad man

To sum up: The majority of hunters in MT just like to kill stuff with very little effort. Our current mule deer management provides that. No changes necessary.
Well we are on course for any mule deer on public to be a tough hunt where I hunt.

It’s just hard for me to believe that many people are happy with the mule deer hunting. I hunt a lot where the numbers are “good”, but you don’t see “good” numbers on public. And I haven’t seen a 4-5 year old buck on public in 8 years.

It’s just hard for me to believe that many people are happy with the mule deer hunting. I hunt a lot where the numbers are “good”, but you don’t see “good” numbers on public. And I haven’t seen a 4-5 year old buck on public in 8 years.
Most residents are … figure it out … nothings gonna change . But hey let’s hang the NR

It’s hard to believe their counts it’s hard to believe their surveys it’s hard to believe their management of a declining species. Yet here we are.

It’s hard to believe their counts it’s hard to believe their surveys it’s hard to believe their management of a declining species. Yet here we are.
Their counts are lies - but majority of the R in your state won’t give up opportunity. Birthright Turkey shoot#. Nothing major will change . And the NR will sell out every year

Most residents are … figure it out … nothings gonna change . But hey let’s hang the NR
Based on that survey most residents are just as happy as you to kill that swoll forkie horn . I’ve never once said anything about NR hunting here . My uncles have came from Minnesota since I was 2 years old . Always comes opening week . Now one is too old and the other gets doe tags .

I would look at it this way. They didn't ask the question directly, but most Montana hunters would say they aren't happy with recent mule deer hunting trends, but think the solution is a 5wk season and hunting the rut. Oh, and can they stick the muzzleloader season after archery, because that is super tough to do after rifle?

I would look at it this way. They didn't ask the question directly, but most Montana hunters would say they aren't happy with recent mule deer hunting trends, but think the solution is a 5wk season and hunting the rut. Oh, and can they stick the muzzleloader season after archery, because that is super tough to do after rifle?
I know a lot people that hunt a mixture of public and private . The percentage satisfied that I talk to is nowhere near the percentage from the survey . Wonder how this was dispersed ? 80% of the surveys went to western MT folk that hunt eastern MT and 20% to the people living year round where a majority of the mule deer hunting is done ?

Edit: thinking about it more, that would make a lot of sense considering more than 80% of Montana residents probably live in regions 1-5.

Last edited:
Based on that survey most residents are just as happy as you to kill that swoll forkie horn . I’ve never once said anything about NR hunting here . My uncles have came from Minnesota since I was 2 years old . Always comes opening week . Now one is too old and the other gets doe tags .
Ok - well I just wanted to be insightful. Lol
Just teasing you . Have a good night

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back