Montana deer elk March 15th - How the system works

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'll get hammered for walking non-residents through the process of hunting in Montana, but here goes.

I suspect the days of buying one of the 5,500 non-resident deer-only licenses is coming to an end. Last year, there were not many left and they sold out the first morning.

Here is a video that tells you the process for getting the deer tag to do the mule deer/whitetail combo hunt we did in Southeast Montana last November. A few years back we did the same thing when Oak and I each shot whitetails, after a hunt where Lawnboy shot a mule deer. If I was a non-resident, I would get my app in before the 15th and make sure I got my tag in the drawing, rather than wait to see if there are any leftovers.

I also talk about elk hunting draw for Southeast Montana, which was, with WAS being the key word, the easiest limited entry non-resident archery elk tag to draw at the time I made this video. Shortly after, we all learned that a big bull was shot there last fall, so it might be more difficult to draw that archery elk tag this year.

[video=youtube_share;8yfOPrJF32s]https://youtu.be/8yfOPrJF32s[/video]

Thanks for watching.

Yeah lots of road traffic, some foot traffic and a few guys out pounding it hard.

Old man winter probably claimed more than his fair share this winter though.

I guess that if there is 100% odds of drawing a deer/elk tag in Montana there is no point in trying to build points in this state?

Hi Randy, Love your content. Thanks for this video. I guess that if there is 100% odds of drawing a deer/elk tag in Montana there is no point in trying to build points in this state? Or maybe there is no way of building points?? Thank, Curt

Hi Randy, Love your content. Thanks for this video. I guess that if there is 100% odds of drawing a deer/elk tag in Montana there is no point in trying to build points in this state? Or maybe there is no way of building points?? Thank, Curt

You can build points for special permit areas . Example , the area in which he's talking is HD 704 , you need a special permit to hunt bull elk and it will take years to draw

I've been in for a couple of weeks now and hope to draw my elk permit!

This will be my first year putting in for one of the deer/elk non-res combo licenses for MT. I am hoping that my odds are good for drawing one of these tags. I've been on Google Earth so much I feel like I've already been in the unit we're planning on hunting.

-Mike

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back