Montana bound and lucky to be able to go!!

leftylock

Leaving for Montana Tuesday A.M. 2500 miles, 3 days. Lo-o-o-ng trip. Have a Forest Service cabin for 15 days- 13 in season, so them elks and mulies had better hide! This is our 4th trip out there so we are getting to know the area pretty well. Maybe it will pay off.
I'm lucky to be able to make the trip. Last Friday I was shooting my Marlin 22 semi auto and had a cartridge explode in my face. If I hadn't had glasses on I probably would have lost an eye. I shoot left handed and the right side of my face all around the eye got minor powder burns.
The shot before hit the target and I didn't move the gun from the rest, and fired again in about 5 seconds, so I know the barrel wasn't obstructed, nor was it obstructed after that round, although that bullet never reached the target. And the bolt has to be completly closed for the gun to fire. The casing seperated. I found the head in front of the bolt , and the body was still in the chamber, and not swollen at all.
Called Winchester and they said they'd naver heard of that happening before. asked for me to send in the bad casing and what remained of the box of cartridges so they could check it out.
It's a mystery to me. Could it have gotten a double load of powder or could it have been a defective case? Anyhow, I hope I don't flinch too much when I get one of them elks in my sights and pull the trigger!!!

WOW.. that story is Crazy !!!!!

Good luck in Montana. 15 days is a Long time. But would be nice . Good luck Mi Amigo.

geesh louise that's one close call--glad to know you had the glasses on--have fun in Montana--where's about will you be????..............chris

Chris,We'll be in the Big Belts between Townsend and White Sulphur Springs.
Moosie, 15 days is probably more than we'll stay, although Not too much less since we have to travel so far. Being retired does have its advantages--If I just wasn't so damned old! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back