Montana 410-20 Either Sex tag

MtnMuley78

I know this is a delayed post given how good of a draw it is but my cousin and I both drew 410-20 permits. I have hunted in 417 for cows but never 410. I had 14 points and he had one and we put in as a party and drew! He claims its his good looks and luck...

Since there are 800 cow hunters and a hundred or so bull hunters, along with deer hunters thrown into the mix, where should we start looking to get away from the crowds? We have horses that we can take in to get around and make packing easier. So far I have heard looking into the Soda Creek drainage and also looking at the Blood Creek breaks.

We both have realistic expectations for these tags, we know that big bulls aren't in every coulee like 20+ years ago. I think the first 340ish looking bull will get a bullet from either one of us.

Any help of where to start looking is greatly appreciated since our scouting my be limited to one trip over before harvest next month then we will be stuck cutting crop through August and seeding well into September.

Thanks in advance.

Your on the track to some good advice, based on what you have stated so far. The archery pressure will have pushed the elk into the tougher country. There is a good chance they will be bugling opening weekend. Get there a few days early, find the bull you like, and kill him opening morning. After opening morning, the deck gets shuffled in a big way and much of your scouting is voided. They go to even tougher country after opening day. A fun hunt, for sure. Good luck.

My advice is to not hold out for a 340ish bull and shoot one you're happy with. The pressure can be next level so like Randy said that any scouting you do prior will be void after day 1.

Last edited:
Blood is very good but there have huge groups of archery hunters in there too.
Large just walk in BMA too. 10's of thousands of acres to hunt.
Lots of sage hen and sharp tail to mess with, Bring your fishing pole some of the best large mouth bass fishing in the area .

I had that tag last year and have been up there for cows a couple times and have bow hunted it some too. I thought there was a ton of people running around during archery season but those numbers don't hold a candle to the number of people during rifle season. Tons and tons of deer hunters up there. Good luck it's a fun area

Mthuntr are you saying that a 340+bull is a long shot? My inexperience in this unit and others experience is very helpful to me in my thought process of what to expect. I was hoping for something in that 340+ class and I am completely realistic and NOT thinking I am going to find a complete giant 375+ all-time book bull in there. But I was hoping to step up from the class of bulls I have out gathering dust in the shop.

If I am thinking too big set me straight, I am not afraid to hear that I might only see a "really pretty 6" in there that will just make my time more fun knowing what to look for and not pass on. But after 14 years of point accumulation and I can't count how many more years before the bonus system I was hoping for something more than what I can get out on the ranch with my general tag.

Set me straight if I'm off my rocker, I just have a great place over my fireplace itching for a big breaks bull.

I'm not saying that there aren't 340s running around just that a bunch of guys go up there looking for those kind of bulls and pass on "really pretty 6s" and end up going home empty handed when that 6 may have actually been the biggest bull of the hunter's life. Just saying enjoy the hunt and the trophy will be any one you shoot (that's really cliche isn't it)

Last edited:
I know a couple guys that have drawn it more than once and both say that it isn't near what it used to be but there are still good Bulls running around.

I have been hunting the 410 zone for over 20 years. A 340 is possible of course but it will take hours of glassing and hiking. You need to cover miles of country every day. It is a vast area some places loaded with elk and other spots no elk for miles. Try to stay away from private boundries the elk there know where to stay that time of year. I have only seen a hand full of true booners in twenty years.

I bow hunt there. It seems like it is hit or miss as far as seeing big bulls. Last year I saw 1 that might go over 340, year before none, year before 2. That being said there are a ton of elk in there and a lot of really "nice" Bulls. Soda Butte gets a lot of pressure during bow season ( sometimes I'm one of them) so if it gets worse during rifle season I wouldn't waste too much time there, especially if they start stacking up in the willows - those are not fun at all. Good luck to you, you won't have problems finding elk if you hike and be glassine first/last light.

I should add that those 3 bulls I've seen that may have pushed the 340ish mark took a lot of days and a lot of hiking to see. I didn't have a chance of connecting on any of them.

I would Hold out for a good bull as long as you can. 290-315 bulls are a dime a dozen up there but there is certainly not a 360 around every bush.
If you see a bull pushing 350 I recommend you kill him, first minute of first day.
I know three people that have had the tag, one shot the first 'good' bull. The other two shot a 355 and one just under 380.
I have bowhunted it a bit. Lots of elk, lots of people.

Thanks for the help and comments, I really appreciate everyone's positive help! I think this will be an excellent fall, I was also lucky enough to pull a quality western Montana mule deer tag.

Let the good times roll, good luck and shoot straight to everyone that helped me out.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back