PEAX Equipment

Missouri River Breaks

Well the Breaks did good for moisture this year, lots of rain storms throughout the summer. Folks are saying the elk are spread out far and wide. So, you can find them just about anywhere this year. Lots of water available.

This should help spread the hunters out, too.

Good luck to you.

I drew 410 also, any word on antler growth, this will be my first time hunting the breaks, so I don't know what to expect for size of bulls???

I just came in from my evening hike and we saw an easy 150 plus elk moving along the river. Mostly cows/calves and several young bulls. My boys went north of us to a different overlook where they could see out over a pivot field on the neighbors. They saw half a dozen good bulls there in the alfalfa.
There is water everywhere and the breaks are green as can be. We have been seeing good bulls quite a bit this past week . Heard my first bugle of the year tonight, only one time. This should be a choice year to hunt 410 from what I am seeing. Wish I had a tag.

Hunters coming into 410 should know that there are a couple of key roads washed out at present.
The bridge at Horse Camp is gone and repairs have not started. and the crossing of Blood Creek between Dunn Ridge and Tin Can Road, (79 Trail heading south) is also impassable. Have no idea if either one will get repaired this season.
Bring your chains and winches, and don't push your luck!

You can get across Crooked Creek. They locals cut a trail crossing to the west of the bridge at Horse Camp. It is a pickup or ATV crossing only...no trailers! We crossed and it was pretty decent. I have heard Carl's Camp crossing is out but I'm not 100% sure.

There is a stockwater pipeline going in at the Fergus/Petroleum County Line on Musselshell trail. They should be done this week or early next week but be prepared for some equipment activity on private land in that area.

Word is that Carl's camp is also closed. I hear that the Commissioners allowed some landowners to close some roads temporarily as of yesterday. I am going up in there this afternoon to see what I can find out. It sounds like the makings of a total train wreck for hunter / landowner relations.

I would call Sheriff, Bill Cassell @ 406-429-6328 before I make a final plan to my trip. He will be able to best advise you on the road situation as it happens.

Twodot - Don't you have some cabins or lodging for rent to archery hunters in the area? If I am correct on that, post up the information, so guys can learn more about it.

We were up there this weekend and we drove from the mussle shell road down to Carl's camp and while there is a crossing, the water looked to be at least 10" deep (without sinking in to the gumbo) and it was wide enough it would be smart not to try to cross. The wilder trail/Mussel shell trails are both in good condition to get in. It requires about 40 more minutes on the pavement but time to get in will be simliar to taking horse camp up.
The grass is nice and green and most if not all the ponds are full. The elk we saw looked healthy and had nice antler growth. The bottoms are coming in but we weren't crazy enough to brave the mosquitos to have a closer look.

What I heard from the county is that several of the roads are just going to have to wait. I imagine carl's, alex, and horse camp will get a hole punched through them quick, like with a blade, but can't confirm this. There were several bridges damaged this spring that were just repaired from 2011 and they still have bridges that hadn't been touched since 2011. I know a few of the locals that aren't all that impress that the county has been working on roads like carls and not on main county roads. So if there is road work done I would expect it to be in Sept or Oct more in time for rifle season. If you know how to drive and aren't afraid to give you pickup a bounce and have a highly capable outfit you can get across those crossing. But for most I would suggest going around. Much easier one equipment.

Can anyone give me any info on the road into Devils Creek and what the boat ramp is like there? We're planning on putting in there to hunt the north side this year, but I haven't been into that area before...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back