Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mississippi Hogs

Sapper.dawg

I was hunting last weekend with my brother on some family land in South MS. After two days, I had struck out and needed to head back to North AL for work. He stayed and hunted an extra day, and ends up killing these two hogs within an hour of each other right in the middle of the day. The boar weighted in at 130, the sow at 110.

This weekend we finished the butcher job on these. Rough total: 3 rib racks, 1 whole loin, 4 whole hams, 3 shanks, 3 x gallon bags for grind and one gallon bag for canning. Two of the shoulders were pretty shot up, and so my best guess is we have about 60-70 lbs of meat. He set up the GoPro and got a time lapse of the butcher job:

hog.gif

These really helped out the planning for next year's holiday meals: roast venison shoulder with homemade basil jelly for Easter, wild turkey for Thanksgiving, and wild boar cured and smoked ham of Christmas.

My son sausaged 46 lbs from a trapped 150 lb boar and a 40 lb oinklet last week. Part of it German seasoned & part breakfast saged. Tasty.

They can be tricky sapper...just like em to show up midday after posting up for em all night.First we've trapped in a couple years.

Cool. They moved onto my family land in Attala County about a decade ago. Came up the Pearl, the Yakanookany, then Lobucha Creek to us we think. I've never shot one but my cousin has killed some big ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back