Midwest whitetails - Restart

keep plugging away Big fin. wait a minute, thought sunday hunting was a no-no? or is that just for the mo-mo's?;):D

Its or course Osage Orange as others have said for the hedge apples, and the thorn tree is a locust tree. They are bad to find in the dark. They do make some of the most beautiful paneling and cabinets you have ever seen.

After business in Lincoln today, I spent three hours looking for a deer. Did see four, with one nice buck. The bad news is that they were across the fence on a piece of private that is getting no hunting pressure. I could only pray they would come my way - NOT.

Oh well, tomorrow morning I am going out for my last hurrah, and then heading to Iowa. I have to be in Des Moines tomorrow night, so I don't have much time to hunt in the morning.

Big storm warnings, with winds of 40mph tomorrow. I am going into the brush and hoping they are bunked down in the thick stuff. I need a big stroke of good luck. If not, my Kansas hunt will go down as a week of fun and a great learning experience. I will be back for revenge on these deer.

When I will come back, I don't know, but as Wyatt Earp would say, "You tell them I'm comin'. I'm comin', and Hell's comin' with me!" I will get even, someday. ;)

Deer 1 - Fin - 0. Or if we count it by days, Deer - 6, Fin -0.

Wish I had more to report, but today was kind of rushed with all the business stuff. Damn work!

You gave it a good shot, Big Fin. Hope you get lucky tomorrow, but if not, you've got to be happy with your effort.

Oak, aka, Hell

Fin, you talked me into my Kansas points. If you hit 'em from the north, Oak from the west and I from the south, we could put a pretty good squeeze on them.

Spitz

Fin, you talked me into my Kansas points. If you hit 'em from the north, Oak from the west and I from the south, we could put a pretty good squeeze on them.

Spitz

When you started with the part of ...."you talked me into my Kansas points....." I thought your next comment would be "..... and now I want you to reimburse me....." :D

Just got the latest weather forecast. Think I might just bag it tomorrow. Wind makes deer crazy and crazy deer makes for frustrated hunters.

>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<
The Detailed Local Weather Forecast for Marysville, Kansas is:

Tonight: Occasional rain and snow showers this evening. Windy with light snow overnight. Low 26F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

Tomorrow: Occasional snow showers. Quite windy. High 27F. Winds N at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snowfall around one inch. Winds could occasionally gust over 50 mph.

Tomorrow night: Partly cloudy skies. Low 14F. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy skies. High 37F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s and lows in the low 20s.

Friday: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

Never killed a deer sitting at home, and if nothing else, makes another great memory (er....story).:D

Go git'em.

Never killed a deer sitting at home, and if nothing else, makes another great memory (er....story).:D

Go git'em.

You're right Miller. I have already set the alarm and I am going, no matter what. Hope some big oak limb doesn't blow down and smack me in the head. Or at least doesn't smack me some place where it could injure me. :D

Hopfully he's dressing a deer...

Sounds like a great effort and fun hunt.

Greenie:

That is funny. At the time you posted that, I was "guttin' and gillin'."

View attachment 7086

Just loading pics as I am typing this thread, so I will follow with more, and the full story.

Every buck I saw shot on a WIHA property came out whole. There is no vehicle traffic allowed, to my understanding. Did those guys drag those things for a half-mile or more?

I am posting this pic, as it made me laugh when I walked out with the last load, some guys came up and asked how I got a deer in my pack. I wanted to joke with the, but just told them is was pretty easy if you practice it enough.

Oops, laptop battery is dying. More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_3369.JPG
    IMG_3369.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 74
Congratulations Big Fin.Way to get it done.Don't stuff your Iowa deer in your pack though,its against the law.Don't ask me why.Good luck.

Laptop is flaking out on me, so I will try post this with what power I have left.

I got up early and the weather was as bad as forecasted. I drug my tired a$$ out of the bed, got a cup of coffee and drove to the parking spot. I sat there in the truck, waiting for daylight to get near and praying the wind would die down.

I actually was falling asleep, but the truck would shake in the wind gusts, waking me from my quick nap.

My plan was to go to the middle of this section where I knew two creeks joined in a thick plumb thicket with a lot of other timber. My thinking was that if a buck was to be moving, he wouldn't be out in the open with the wind howling like it was.

I walked in while it was still too dark to shoot, but I did see four deer on the neighboring property running like crazed rabbits. Seeing deer was a good sign, but not to see deer running like fools.

I thought about going back to the truck, as we all know there is no deer that would be moving in this weather, without the benefit of the rut. My thoughts kept going back to Miller's comment that you can't shoot one sitting on the couch. Well, the same applies to sitting in the truck.

I settled in under a small tree that gave me small viewing spots in front and to my right, where two trails connected. Since the wind was blowing to my left, I wasn't too concerned about anything coming from that direction.

I was freezing in that wind. I told myself I would give it until nine o'clock. At eight o'clock, I decided I couldn't make it much longer in that wind, so I changed my departure time to 8:30.

No more than I had looked at my watch at 8:15, and I noticed something to my right. Here is a buck looking at me from 40 yards. I didn't dare move my head. I just watched out the corner of my eye.

We stared each other down for at least three minutes. Finally, he disappeared in some brush in front of me. I readied my rifle in the event he showed up in one of the opening farther out in front of me.

All of a sudden, I see his antlers coming out of creek bottom about 30 yards from me, almost straight in front. When he fully emerged, he stopped and turned straight at me. He bobbed his head around as if he knew something was wrong, but was not sure what I was.

Too bad for him, I had set up the bipod and when he stopped, I was on him with the crosshairs. I saw nothing but the chest patch where the front shoulders come together. I pulled the trigger and when I recovered from the recoil, I heard a lot of thrashing going through the brush up the hill side.

I stood up an watched him fall 100 yards from where I was standing. I scrambled through the brush to make sure he was dead.

Amazing that seven days of hunting without an opportunity on a mature buck comes to a conclusion in five minutes of extreme excitement. I guess that is why we hunt.

He is not the biggest buck, and many bucks I saw on private grounds and those taken by others made this guy look small. But, my goal was to see if I could do it on a publicly accessible property. I succeeded in taking a deer, and having one hell of a great time.

I can say with certainty, that I worked harder for this deer than any deer I have ever shot. That will make it a sweet memory.

Kansas is a great place. Things are changing fast, but I learned so much about how/when/where I will hunt next time I am here. The people are some of the nicest you will find. The locals love hunters, as you are like a second harvest season for them, and they want you to know they appreciate you. And, I appreciate them.

A few pics to share. Better get off, as the loptop is telling me it is trying to die on me. Damn it!

Not the biggest buck I have ever shot, but very memorable.
View attachment 7089

When you aren't a good hunter, you have to make up for it with persistence, determination, and the occassional stroke of good luck.
View attachment 7090

Already thinking about when I can return.
View attachment 7091

No, that is not a sunburn.
View attachment 7092

The wind blew the snot sickles off my nose.
View attachment 7093

If I can get this computer fixed, I will post the details of the Iowa hunt that starts on Saturday. Will be scouting for the next three days.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3340.JPG
    IMG_3340.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3362.JPG
    IMG_3362.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 78
Don't stuff your Iowa deer in your pack though,its against the law.Don't ask me why.Good luck.

Wow, glad I read that. :eek:

How am I supposed to get a 200# deer off the management area and to the truck? I ain't dragging him, that's for sure. :confused:

Glad I brought my plastic ice fishing sled. ;)

Wow, glad I read that. :eek:

How am I supposed to get a 200# deer off the management area and to the truck? I ain't dragging him, that's for sure. :confused: get yourself to a cabelas and get a game cart with the BIG wheels. make your life 100% better for the big WT you'll take in iowa.
Glad I brought my plastic ice fishing sled. ;)

another congrats on a nice kansas WT.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back