Merino Wool

zfava

In your opinions, who makes the best merino wools products out there? From what I have read on amazon, many of the non-hunting brand options tent to fall apart pretty quick. If I'm going to spend a decent amount of money on something, it better last! I'm looking for base layer (underwear, long johns, shirts, etc). Thanks in advance!

I was happy with my minus 33 boxer briefs. I decided I wanted more of them so I went on ebay. About 6 pages back I found a 6 pack of briefs for less than the cost of 1 pair of any other brand from a guy in Lithuania. It took them 6 weeks to get to me, but it was worth the investment.

I love my First Lite. I have the llana, chama, kanab, desert boxers...they've all worked well. I also use icebreaker later but it seems much heavier and is the same price range. It's usually what I wear XC skiing after the season is over.

I bought a pair of first lite merino base layers 5 or 6 years ago and have been using them ever since. They're awesome. Haven't tried anything else and probably won't when I buy another pair!

Another vote for first lite. I have red desert, mountain athlete triad socks, llano crew, chama crew springer vest, Labrador jacket, and kanab pants. Love them all. Thinking on getting the uncompaghre puffy next.

I was skeptical about the merino wool thing. It ain't no bs. I dont have first lite, so i can't compare. Ive got kings xkg and was thoroughly impressed.

I have a few of icebrekaer, and then some shirts I got offamazon that have no brand. No probelms here .

Due to cost, I've been slowly switching all of my outdoor clothing to merino. For me, it's very much worth the cost over the "plastic" synthetic clothing that chafes and smells bad (I guess that's me though). Synthetics are cheap and extremely durable- and I do still use them for harder, short-term summer use (mountain biking and canoeing/kayaking) and for my hunting outer wear- but even those, I'm trying to switch over to wool.

I, too, like the First Lite the best. It feels the nicest and has a consistent density throughout the garment. I own kuiu merino (not bad, but seems less dense; re: tpi) and LL Bean midweight- which is also pretty nice- if the tailoring/fit suits you. Smartwool, Darn Tough, and Bean socks have all served me well.

I've owned Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Minus 33, Core 4, Icebreaker, and I'm sure a few others I can't recall at the moment. In my experience First Lite has by far the best merino products. They are softer to the touch, more comfortable to wear, and last as long or longer than some of the other brands.

Chiming in for First Lite....fit, design, quality, price point. ...and you can catch a sale occasionally with proper sizes in stock

Check discount sites for good deals on merino products. Sierra Trading Post. Camofire. Even Amazon occasionally has good deals. I got a bunch of Icebreaker Realtree base and mid layers for about 75% off on Amazon one day. I assume most of their target market are not into hunting pattern fabrics. Just keep your eyes peeled.

I've had really good luck with smart wool. So far, that has been the most durable. First lite and Kuiu for me are a close second. Stoic has also worn well for me but its a blend so not quite as odor resistant but priced well on steep and cheap. Camofire stuff (Core4) is pretty good pricing wise, but not as durable as the big names. I bought a pair of Kyptek bottoms and they lasted one hunt. I've no experience with Sitka merino but will probably pick some up as I replace stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking very closely at First Lite. They seem to have Merino at the center of the business model, so I would imagine they would be the Kings of that arena. Anyone have any experience with the Aerowool they offer?

I've always used the plain black icebreaker base layers and I love them. No experience with First Lite but I've seen them well recommended here (in this thread!) and elsewhere on the web plenty of times.

Probably you can't go wrong with any of the usual suspects, so I would just keep an eye out for sales to slash away at the sticker shock.

(Unless you are a crazy person like me and everything has to match so you are locked in to Icebreaker because that's the first top you bought…)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back