Meet the nation’s most endangered monuments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just became a hunters ed instructor. At the age of 51 I will be among the youngest. Recruitment of new hunters is way down nationwide. In the midwest and eastern states a lot of this has to do with access. Having grown up in Northern Minnesota I was very fortunate to have an abundance of state land and national forest to hunt on. When I moved to central Minnesota I only had two or three small WMAs within reasonable driving distance, and most private land was not open to hunting because of bad experiences or leasing. Try to find some unleased land in south eastern Minnesota. The more hurdles there are the less effort people will put out, and many kids will have parents that used to hunt. Public lands are of utmost importance in slowing that trend down. When we find facts, we must look at the facts. When we find interpretations we must weigh them based on the facts. The facts are that the Republican Party wants to privatize public lands, and some of these monuments are still up for size revisions. Sometimes, you can't get certain types of facts from one side or the other because of bias, so don't automatically discount the source because it is not your trusted source.

Advocacy is one thing. I think we all appreciate advocacy for public lands. Hysteria and vitriol are completely different.

If I posted some garbage from a biased rag about gun rights being stolen (based on non-facts) I would be lambasted and called a kook by many here. Yet those same folks froth at the mouth when they read a biased rag's article on public land thievery that's based on nothing but "maybes" and "could happens".

Do you see the irony?

I don't want to see any public land done away with or sold. However I also don't believe there is any legitimate efforts currently being enacted to do that, unlike what the article would have you believe. I wonder, if some of these National Monuments were decreased in size, what happens to the redacted land? Is it gifted to private parties? Or does it simply become BLM or FS land again and just loses the NM designation? I haven't really seen that discussed or clarified.

JWP58.....you don't work in the oil and gas industry do ya?

In regards to the last part of this post; it would still be federal land, just with whatever designation it had prior to being included in area covered by the Monument designation. AFAIK, there'd be no change in ownership and management would have to continue under the plans that were in place for those lands prior to designation. If I am wrong, I'd like someone to show me. I get the rationale for defending monument designation, but much of the argument for that defense jumps to hyperbole pretty quickly...

This is my understanding as well, and to Zinke's credit, he has been clear that any lands that lose their conservation status will remain public.

That's great. Until we look at what the administration is planning for uncategorized public lands and energy development. This is why rolling back BLM 2.0 and the Sage Grouse Plans is such a bad idea. It's why having industry lobbyists in top levels of DOI is problematic and as we saw under 43's administration, expedited development for the sake of profit means much less hunter opportunity as well as much lower wildlife numbers in areas of intensive development.

PLT advocates don't need to transfer ownership when they get control of the lands under this administration. They don't have to go to war with us over transfer when the already control the management.

Removing obstacles to development that had protected wildlife habitat and the recreation that occurs there are happening at a break-neck pace, and this "review" is simply one more part of it.

Monuments in Danger

Washington Monument
Stone Mountain
Any Hint of Robert E Lee

Major leftist attempt to delegitimize anything brought about by our former being fathers due to past sins.
Public land will be a distant memory if they keep it up.

Monuments in Danger

Washington Monument
Stone Mountain
Any Hint of Robert E Lee

Major leftist attempt to delegitimize anything brought about by our former being fathers due to past sins.

There is a very big difference between a monument for George Washington who was instrumental in the founding of our great country and a monument to Robert E. Lee who wanted to tear our country apart.
Perhaps Germany should erect monuments of Hitler all over their country since he is part of their culture and history.

It is also the GOP who is leading the charge for PLT not the Dems.

Well hell, since we've segued off the rails..... the next thing you know they'll be covering Robert Byrd's statues with sheets.

..too soon?

There is a very big difference between a monument for George Washington who was instrumental in the founding of our great country and a monument to Robert E. Lee who wanted to tear our country apart.
Perhaps Germany should erect monuments of Hitler all over their country since he is part of their culture and history.

It is also the GOP who is leading the charge for PLT not the Dems.
Don't care for the comparison of a Virginia patriot to Hitler. Regardless, my point is that while some of us love public land and support it, there are multiple issues that we think about politically that pull different ways.
The positive thing right now is that coalitions are being built from those on different sides of the political fence to preserve public land. Thanks mostly to this forum, I recently joined the Backwoods Hunters and Anglers, as it is a solid group getting work done.

Don't care for the comparison of a Virginia patriot to Hitler. Regardless, my point is that while some of us love public land and support it, there are multiple issues that we think about politically that pull different ways.
The positive thing right now is that coalitions are being built from those on different sides of the political fence to preserve public land. Thanks mostly to this forum, I recently joined the Backwoods Hunters and Anglers, as it is a solid group getting work done.

You & I have had our differences, but I'm proud to stand next to you fighting for public lands. It will take people of all stripes putting aside differences in order to achieve the goal of responsible stewardship & management of our public lands.

As for the other monuments issue - I thought we were all against participation awards? ;)

And count me in for the Byrd removal.

I'll support wildlife groups that fund public land improvement projects like this.......

http://www.missoulacurrent.com/business/2017/05/missoula-prescribed-fire-ninemile/

"The burn is a collaborative effort between the Ninemile Ranger District, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, National Wild Turkey Federation, Wild Sheep Foundation and the Mule Deer Foundation. Smoke will be visible to residents of Petty Creek and the I-90 corridor."

The groups that are using their dollars to politicise this endangered monument nonsense will not get a dime from me.

....... edit... again. Does not help joining the personal buzz-kill attacks.

Many in America want public land to stay public. It is how we go about the process... Some want it to stay in Fed hands. Some want it transferred to Stae hands... Others want it to stay in Fed hands with State stewardship...

Using the Antiquities Act as if it a partisan TOY is flat out a joke. I find it interesting to think of the vehicles you and I drive - yet the typical vitriol against domestic production of fuel components. Let's kick Iraq's ass again "for oil"... snap... Lets angrily denounce fuels from the U.S....

Better yet - take a hike to work, today, tomorrow... meh, get your feet moving where your mouth is.

Or since we are on a rant bender...

The Great Teddy Roosevelt, the man for conservation... AMERICAN conservation - don't give a crap about foreign countries - Iraq.. stomp right on over them - wait... I'm speaking of the Great T.R... Stomp right over Columbia's gov't... throw the almighty $$$ at Columbian rebels to assist with countering their Gov't... Not Iraq, we are still talking about Columbia. Destroy their wilderness for the sake of progressive industrialism / commerce - and the beauty of the Panama Canal.
God Bless America! And you know -I DIG Theodore Roosevelt! He was a President that was hell bent to protect, America... His position on Immigration is FANTASTIC! Come to America, Welcome... You are American and none other. Speak English, Allegiance to none other than America, etc, etc, etc...

Last edited:
Monuments in Danger

Washington Monument
Stone Mountain
Any Hint of Robert E Lee

You forgot Teddy Roosevelt, they wanted to take down a statue of him too....which I found odd. But reason and common sense never slows down the radicals.

My one day in town over a three week stint and I have to put up with this shit.

A suggestion - Keep your passion, but keep it from being misdirected emotion. Apply it toward the cause of hunting and public lands in a manner more effective than the mental mudwrestling exercises that some seem to find too much to resist.

Locked. F(*&ing Locked!!! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back