NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Medicine bow forest game retrieval

Rooster52

Anyone know what the rules are for using an ATV for game retrieval in the forest boundary

I recently ordered some ATV Wyoming maps. From what I read on almost all NF roads ATVs are legal. Route 70 is not included through say unit 21. You can not leave the roads except for a short distance. The exact distance escapes me now but its only like 100 yards. So you can not blaze a trail for game removal.

I don't think it matters what NF your in, or State as far as that goes, I believe you can only go up to 100 yards from a authorized Road or ATV trail.

Kevin

An ATV would be a great advantage where I was last season in the Medicine Bow. A lot of the roads were too treacherous even for a 4x4 truck, with washouts and such. Even if you never left the road, it would save a lot of wear and tear on your truck (that might need to haul you 1000+ miles home after the hunt).

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised you can take them that far from the road. Seems like maybe there should be an exception that you can park them at your roadside campsite, but no other off-trail use..

I hope I see an ATV 100 yards off a designated road/ATV trail on NF land...

Yep, call Bess over on MM and let him give it a "tuneup", LOL!!! How did you guys come up with this "100 yards off " a designated road or trail is legal?

I knew that off road game retrieval is not allowed on any FS lands I hunt in Montana. So... I was surprised to see you guys say 100 yards off road was ok. I took a few minutes and found this on the website for the MBNF.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mbr/recreation/ohv

Other than winter snowmobile use, motor vehicle travel is allowed only on designated trails and roads. Off-road and trail travel is prohibited. All OHV vehicles and over-snow vehicles must have a current state registration.

In 2009 I stopped at the Ranger Station in Ennis MT, and they told me that you could go up to 100 yards off a Road or ATV trial to park or to set up a Camp ?. maybe that has changed ?. but that is what I was told.

Kevin

Even if it was "legal", which it may be depending on state, NF, etc., how does one drive 100 yards (know you're only 100 yards off a road) and not do resource damage?

"Saving" that 100 yard pack-out is a joke....if an animal dies within 100 yards of a road, I call myself lucky that I only have to pack it 100 yards, not try to make a rule to drive my truck cross-country 100 yards to pick it up.

New class of lazy...

if I can get it to within 100 yards road I can get it the rest of the way.The last 100 is the easiest the first 1000 is the killer.

Last edited:
Really

I hope I see an ATV 100 yards off a designated road/ATV trail on NF land...

I truly hope that your not serious, with the price of ATVs these days, even if they are breaking the law, and you vandalize it in any way and got caught, it would be consider a Felony.
and if the owner of the ATV caught you vandalizing his machine, he may just shoot your a$$, and leave you for Wolf bait.

you may want to think about that.

99% of ATV user do so in a legal manner, but like anything, there are always a few bad apples.

No, 99% don't, or I wouldn't see illegal trails all over the place. I just don't buy the "its a few irresponsible riders" crap. That "one guy" must be one busy dude...

Keep those piles of chit on the road/trails where they belong...and grow a set big enough to pack an animal 100 yards and we'll be fine.

I don't think it matters what NF your in, or State as far as that goes, I believe you can only go up to 100 yards from a authorized Road or ATV trail.

Kevin

The Black Hills NF in South Dakota, in certain areas you can go up to 1 mile from road for elk retrieval on an ATV.

Not sure about the Med Bow but the Bridger-Teton says motor vehicle use off of designated roads for the purpose of dispersed camping in permitted up to 300 feet from centerline of the road without doing resource damage. And all ATV's must either have a state trail sticker or be registered. And Buzz I agree, it's not just a small percent of users that are abusing this privilege and a little backwoods justice for those doing so much resource damage may not be such a bad thing, maybe people would start respecting the law a little bit more.

i hunted medicine bow last year (deer79?) and the ATV guys had a advantage the way the roads were and usually used them legally. one local was always driving anywhere he wanted including right past signs that said road closed, everyone else seemed to stick to trails. i was lucky enough to meet a few nice guys that gave me a 3/4 mile ride back to my camp when i was packing out my buck which was a real help. i think the 100 yard thing comes from the allowance for camping

I would take photos and report, and have done so multiple times. I would guess 30-40% of riders don't have OHV stickers either, report that as well.

I wouldn't personally damage anyone's machine, but I would report any violation of resource damage even if they're within the 100 yards from the designated route. They cant just rip up the resource to save 100 yards of packing...and if you see 2 vehicles off road for retrieval, they're also both in violation.

I'm hopeful that in the next travel plan review, that all off-road use is prohibited.

This is copy and pasted from map.
Motor vehicle use off of a designated road for the purpose of elk retrieval only is permitted for up to 1 mile from the centerline of the road, but not outside
the zone boundary using the same vehicles a s a re designated for the road and only during the same period a s the road is open. T he Elk Retrieval Z one
Boundaries indicate where this activity is permitted. Motorized access for elk retrieval is allowed only on National Forest System Land.

Back