Caribou Gear Tarp

Matt Rinella is categorically confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably side more with Matt Rinella in that SM has a far greater negative impact to hunting than a positive one.

That being said, I guess we’d have to know just how sweet the juice is to know if it’s worth the squeeze?

Knowing what these “influencers” get in return for the product they produce would probably lead most of us to understand where they’re coming from with the bastardization of hunting. We’ve all got our prices….it’s different for everyone.
I could be way off here, but I don’t think a lot of these people aren’t getting rich. I think they get free stuff and maybe a cool trip here or there, but I think the true drug is that sweet dopamine drip of likes, follows and adulation from other grown men.

I’m not sure I totally understand why someone would want to be an influencer if it doesn't bring in an obscene amount of wealth. I’m sure the top of the pile influencers like Cammy Cam Juice are getting rich, but I bet the vast majority of influencers are not.

IDK how some of ya'll's sense of justice is completely unbothered when you see a dweeb like this, after his second poaching conviction, still getting free stuff in the industry. Hard not become jaded towards what hunting is turning into when you see stuff like this. But I guess Matt Rinella is the bad guy because "hunters need to stick together"

snipp.JPG

I could be way off here, but I don’t think a lot of these people aren’t getting rich. I think they get free stuff and maybe a cool trip here or there, but I think the true drug is that sweet dopamine drip of likes, follows and adulation from other grown men.

I’m not sure I totally understand why someone would want to be an influencer if it doesn't bring in an obscene amount of wealth. I’m sure the top of the pile influencers like Cammy Cam Juice are getting rich, but I bet the vast majority of influencers are not.

That’s the thing, your definition of rich and mine may be different. There’s no way these guys are using stuff out of the goodness of their hearts. I’d have to think that there is some exchange funds to warrant someone using one product over another.

That’s the thing, your definition of rich and mine may be different. There’s no way these guys are using stuff out of the goodness of their hearts. I’d have to think that there is some exchange funds to warrant someone using one product over another.
Doubting Thomas

I checked out his site, he seems...petulant.

You know, like them old timers who "we used to farm twice the fields in half the time with our 4 row..dammit that's the way it should only ever be"...

...well, more like the grandson who still uses grandpa's 4 row and whines that everyone around him is using modern technology.

Screenshot_20231220_183456_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231220_183505_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20231220_183510_Chrome.jpg

If we want to be picky...he's doing at least a quarter if not more of the negative bullet points he points towards. He throws around "our" as if it's synonymous with "my way, my viewpoint only".

If I were Steve, I'd once-a-year donate $30k in gear to his non profit as a write off, and send him a copied tax return done by randy Newberg noting the deduction.

If yall agree with him, get off hunt talk, practice what you preach. That's bullet #6. And don't be a pansy and obfuscate it. Do it. Be a man, have conviction.

I have done some listening to Matt's take on what we do in the industry as hunters, media consumers, and media producers. I have arrived at the following conclusions.

1. Matt is EXTREMELY hypocritical. He is selling a podcast, shirts, and his own brand - just like Steve, Randy, and others. It's "not for profit" but I think we all know what that can and usually means in the American tax system. The fact is - no one would even know who he is if it wasn't for Steve, and his whole "hunt quietly" brand wouldnt even exist. So how is it fair to criticize someone who actually built their own brand, and is profiting off the same thing he is? He's literally using Cam Hanes name, image, and likeness to generate money.
2. Matt does criticize state agencies that aren't managing and/or protecting wildlife - but fails to understand that additional resources (hunter voices, dollars, and advocacy groups) are really all that we have to petition these trustees to do better. More or less, the political power we already have isnt enough. He seems to want to maintain the existing opportunity we have (extended and long seasons), but only to a select few who are "in it for the right reasons." A publicly managed good is only a "public" good if there are enough individuals interested to make it a priority.
3. I sympathize and understand his thoughts on the "profit" of wildlife, in terms of private land guded hunts and leases. However, private land owners that WANT more wildlife in the respective area is one of the greatest assets we have. Believe me when I say I have felt the rage of watching nearly elk in the drainage sitting pivot in the breaks for "sale" or on KG ranch. If these wildlife were worth nothing to these landowners - how many elk would the land owners in the area push for when the state solicits their input for setting population objectives?
4. Matt chastises "trophy" hunting. The reality is - hunters who are unwilling to harvest an immature/young animal do a lot for conservation. I wish MORE people had the idea that shooting a young 3x3 isn't great for the quality/quantity of game that exists. Not saying "grip and grins" are always perfectly/tastefully done, but I would much prefer to see someone proud of harvesting a mature animal than another "filled my freezer, not my best" post. I personally try to harvest only animals I am 100 % happy with - and more people doing that would be better than someone "getting meat ethically" for conservation in my eyes.
5. Matt blames people for harvesting excessive game (more than they can eat). Personally - I try to buy B tags every year - and never fill them. I look at it as a small tax to ensure that a few more live, but I don't appreciate the state having opportunities to kill 10+ animals a year. Neither should he, and influencers killing big bulls/bucks on private do a lot less damage to populations than that does.
6. Criticizing main stream people like Bro Jogan who hunt isn't going to help anyone. I get that Joe professes a lot about hunting - and hunts managed private land - but anyone who is an advocate for hunting is someone I consider an ally. People who otherwise wouldn't hunt, appreciate hunting, or otherwise loathe it - have had their opinion changed, I have seen direct evidence of it. I don't care if Joe Rogan is a perfect ambassador for hunting (who is, by the way?) if he is advocating for more elk - what is the issue?
7. Point creep is an atrocious thing to blame on hunting advocates.

All in all - I feel that Matt is a whiner. His complaints and frustrations need to be targeted at those managing the system - not those wanting to participate in it. I am certain that anyone who say a "Cam Hanes" or meateater hunt on youtube and is looking for the same experience will be really disappointed and won't be hunting for long anyway.
What do you mean by “hunting advocates”? If by that you mean hunting influencer than sir, your point #7 is atrocious.

I think the exchange is simply free or reduced price gear. I bet very few are making any kind of money.

2011 really was a simpler time.
Hey listen....

...I'm not the one going around social media, podcasts, etc trying to use my brother's name to garner attention and tell people they should only hunt my way.

Imagine if.......Tommy Jordan, Mike's little brother, was going around saying he never made fun of Larry birds stache...and you can't and shouldn't and xyz...

...only to find he's done that. Numerous times. And the jokes are quite good too.

What he should do is thank Steve for putting the rinella name on the map, go back to whatever .gov job he had, and hunt his way.

Just got home from taking my bow for a walk, and see all you boys busy arguing like old ladies over influencers?

They don’t make men like they used to. 🤦🏻‍♀️

It’s a gorgeous night so I’m heading back out to call coyotes. You boys have fun.
There's no reason to bring Bruce Jenner into this.

I think the exchange is simply free or reduced price gear. I bet very few are making any kind of money.

There's just no way I believe that. I don't understand how it all works. But there's no way the big names aren't getting compensated financially for all of this. There's no way Steve Rinella, Cam Hanes, Randy Newberg, Joe Rogan, Muley Freak, the Hushin guys, etc., are doing this for just a discount on hunting gear or to feel like they're stewards of the land. I got discounts on outdoor gear when I was in high school just for working at a Gander Mountain, you can't tell me that's why they continue to do all this. It's a hell of a racket and pretty darn lucrative. Everyone else is just gunning for a piece of that pie. Waiting for their own fire bull to propel them to the next level!

Good for them, I'm sure I'd do the same if someone handed me a golden ticket. The definition of the American dream.

Just got home from taking my bow for a walk, and see all you boys busy arguing like old ladies over influencers?

They don’t make men like they used to. 🤦🏻‍♀️

It’s a gorgeous night so I’m heading back out to call coyotes. You boys have fun.
Strong words for a cotton-headed ninny muggins.

There. I said it.

I regret nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back