PEAX Equipment

"Management bulls"

Skull Krazy

I don't know how many of you look at Monster Muleys elk forum, but there's a post in there titled "San Juan Management elk" with a kid and a scraggly little 5x5. That thing is no more a "management bull" than fly to the moon!!
When Utah implamented this new hunt, i literally crawled out of my skin knowing this would happen.
Not trying to take anything away from an archery killed bull, but this bull he killed still has milk on his lips for :BLEEP: sakes!!|oo

I am so surprised that noone has mentioned this on there, either they don't know what a "management bull" is, they don't want to hurt the guys feelings or like me...they are afraid of the critisism that would surely follow if someone said anything about it.

Anyone else here agree or disagree??

Define mangagement? What are they managing for in that area? When you place any type of quota on an area you are managing it. His area may be 5 points on on side or lower in an effort to increase the odds of mature bulls that would be the ones doing the breeding. I don't know just a guess, but to have an opinion I would need more info on the areas and objectives.

It's supposed to be to help slow down the bad gene's on bulls that are not a typical 6x6.
Up on the Deseret Land & Livestock we do "management bull hunts" where the guide has to determine the 5x5 or 5x6 (anything with 5 or less points on one side) is a mature bull, not a young raghorn.
It's easy to see the bull in that picture is clearly a young raghorn.
The new Utah management hunt is very close to the same thing as used on the Deseret.
Who knows what that bull would have ended up being, it's more than likely only 2 1/2 years young!|oo

I totally agree Jose, you'll NEVER stop a bad genetic on an open area, non controlled wild herd, all the cows look alike and they carry it as well.
All it's going to do is kill some really young bulls that could be something someday.....it's obviously already happening.:BLEEP:

Up on the Deseret we have taken some huge 5x5 & 5x6 bulls scoring anywhere from 320-360. One 5x5 we took on a "management hunt" was 13 years old according to the tooth rings and the biologist.
Now THOSE are true "management bulls"!!!

Back