PEAX Equipment

Looking to get chains for my Toyota.

Bukwild3

I'm from the south and know nothing about these. Is there a differnce between chains, price, ECT. I will likely never use them but would like to have a set for my travels with my camper and hunting. I've seen multiple threads with people recomending them for the slick muddy roads of Wyoming. This is one of my concerns as of now for buying them.

Last edited:
Im listening in also, about to make my first trip to Wy in Oct and have no idea what kind to buy or even if I need them.

From what I have read it's probably one of the best pieces of equipment you can have besides a shovel for traveling the off black top roads of Wyoming. They say the Wyoming roads get very slick and chains help a lot. I have never had them as down here where I hunt we travel buy atv everywhere we hunt so it has never been a problem.

I have heavy duty chains w/camlocks for my Tacoma. They are for the back as there is no front clearance & that is what OM says to do.
Back end of a Tacoma is light & can break loose. I used them in Sierras a bunch but have used them only once in NM.But they are in the truck yr round for mud.
Know lots of folks who modify front to use them,offsets & such.But it just wears out the suspension parts quicker from what I have seen

OM for all dealers say not to use chains on the front now days. My chevy does but i need all 4's chained up. Tough to steer without the front chained up and 4 will work twice as good as two when bucking drifts.

Order the right size and try them on. A tight fit is needed and extra links need to be bungey'd. Stay below 20-25 mph. Don't "dig" with chains on. Spinning in snow if fine but once I hit rock and start digging ruts I stop, back up and hit it again. You can tear out a front end pretty quick digging with chains. I chain up all 4 multiple times every winter and never had a problem.

Most important is you need one set for your camper and make sure to mount them on the axle that has the brake drums. Sick feeling in the pit of stomach trying to get a trailer off the mountain once the roads are driven down to a sheet of ice. It only takes one little corner that doesnt get sun to put a bunch of them in the ditch.

Chains are essential where I hunt.

I think all manufactures say that in todays world.

Too many people take there new superduty out with all four chained up, get to playing, momentarily became a famous monster truck driver and start digging. That turbo diesel with chains will throw basketball sized rocks for twenty yards then a loud bang and they want the dealer to warranty the front end they just tore out.

Use them wisely and they are great.

I have heard of a few fords tearing off the brake line on the front end so not sure on fords.

On my old F-250 4x4 I would chain all 4. 1st Toyota 4x4 too.
I looked at lite & slim/cable types to fit on front of Tacoma,but nothing seemed like it would not fail go right into brakes & suspension.
Good tires make up for no front chains most times & knowing how to drive in winter conditions really helps.And I use the 4x4 more than I used to now.
I might get studded tires to use in winter,if I had problems.
Trucks these days are more like cars than anything and really for city folks & soccer moms.
My F-150 off road 4x4 rides better than most cars I've had.But I would not go where I would have in the old 250 or other work trucks . Personally. I see lots of smashed ones....lol.

Chains are like insurance in that you don't need them until you need them. The cable types are pretty much useless so don't bother. When you put them on get them as tight as you can because they will loosen up very quickly as the settle in, just tighten them up again.
I've had my chains since the mid 80's and have only used them 5 or 6 times, but without them we would have been in a world of hurt. We would have had to wait several days just to get camp out. I have had to chain up all 4 tires a couple of times but usually just the rears.DSCN0365.jpg

Chains are a must have in our little elk heaven. It blew my mind to watch on of Randy's episodes where he had to go to town to buy chains. Chains stay in my truck year round. I carry six as I've been known to get into situations from time to time that break chains.

Each vehicle is different and you will need actually physically put the chains on all four tires and check for clearance. I had a 99 F250 Super Duty that you couldn't chain up the front unless you didn't like your brake lines.

Try the chains from the comfort of your driveway. Do not take Cooters word that they will fit your vehicle. You won't believe the number of tires that suddenly swell when they hit Wyoming air and those chains no longer fit. That's code for "No, I didn't try them on."

Buy extra tighteners. Those black hunks of death and hand pain break all the time.

One last little bit, put them on long before you actually need them. Trust me, spinning chains on while buried in three feet of mud is no fun.

The problem with new vehicles, is that some don't have tire clearance for chains. My standard Tundra wheels have enough room on the front, but I have read where people that have the TRD trucks have problems with chains.

I use them on the front only and have gotten out of any mess that I have been in. I have the cam-lock type and they are great. I think that I only spent 65 bucks or so if I remember right.

Mr. Daniel made a good point. Try them on in your driveway to- 1) May sure they fit. 2)Know how to put them on before you have to be in the muck trying to figure things out.

Try the chains from the comfort of your driveway. Do not take Cooters word that they will fit your vehicle. You won't believe the number of tires that suddenly swell when they hit Wyoming air and those chains no longer fit. That's code for "No, I didn't try them on."

Buy extra tighteners. Those black hunks of death and hand pain break all the time.

One last little bit, put them on long before you actually need them. Trust me, spinning chains on while buried in three feet of mud is no fun.

Hahaaaa

I have used chains a lot over the years, make sure they fit before you head into the mountain and put them on before you are stuck. Its a lot more fun to just lay them down and drive over them and hook them up on the top of the tire then it is laying in a mud puddle trying to get them on.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back