Looking to book DIY Caribou 2024

Timvz26

Hello all, my brother and I had a hunt booked with Hawk Mountain Air and he closed his business and is refunding us our deposit for a 2024 Caribou hunt. Looking for recommendations for a transport service that is not one of the major ones that pops up on a google search. We have a few leads but looking for some HT reviews of transporters as well! Thanks all and happy hunting!

Can't go wrong with 40 Mile Air, the challenge there is that they typically get fully booked with repeat customers. I would call them and check the date and time when new customers can try to book a reservation (it's typically sometime in mid-December). On the day/time they give you, I would be hitting speed dial until someone picks up to see if you can get a slot...

Tok Air Service also flies out of Tok, I haven't flown with them personally.

Jim Cummings of Golden Eagle Outfitters used to fly a few caribou hunters out of Delta Junction, not sure if he's still doing that.

Good luck, the AK caribou landscape is changing, and not for the better at the moment. Most of the herds are far smaller than years past.

Stay away from Ram Avaition I went with them last year and they put three camps within 4 miles of our camp. They are not worth the money and definitely are inflating their success rates on their website.

Can't go wrong with 40 Mile Air, the challenge there is that they typically get fully booked with repeat customers. I would call them and check the date and time when new customers can try to book a reservation (it's typically sometime in mid-December). On the day/time they give you, I would be hitting speed dial until someone picks up to see if you can get a slot...

Tok Air Service also flies out of Tok, I haven't flown with them personally.

Jim Cummings of Golden Eagle Outfitters used to fly a few caribou hunters out of Delta Junction, not sure if he's still doing that.

Good luck, the AK caribou landscape is changing, and not for the better at the moment. Most of the herds are far smaller than years past.

40 mile air the the best. Agree. Getting a spot unless you flown with them in close to impossible.

Zak, Tok air is a fantastic pilot. No worries there and he will get you into were the caribou are. He might have to hop scotch planes to get the cub into where they are but that’s generally not an issue. The issue is he is one man show, and his prices are more than double the going rates. Like crazy expensive. That said I would fly with him again anytime.

Jim Cummings is great guy he stopped as few years ago taking out caribou hunters as the 40 mile herd been too far to the east and he told me he can’t guarantee that he could get me where I needed to be. I think he is still doing moose hunts and he has couple killer moose spots that he flys in on floats!

Last edited:
I've been considering a caribou hunt myself and as someone already mentioned the outlook fir caribou isn't too good.

I've been trying to get on 40 miles list for 4 years with no luck, really tough for a new customer.

I've heard ok things about Tok air but as mentioned above he's pretty pricey.

I definitely wouldn't book with anyone that goes out of Kotzebue.

One other name to check out would be Meekins air service. I know a guy that went with them a couple of years ago and he had a good trip. He took an average bull and did say that that was about as good as they saw so I wouldn't expect great trophy quality.

For me I will keep trying and get on 40 miles list but other than that I think I will probably hold off for awhile before I get too serious on caribou.

I could definitely give a better referral for a moose hunt....lol

40 mile air the the best. Agree. Getting a spot unless you flown with them in close to impossible.

Zak, Tok air is a fantastic pilot. No worries there and he will get you into were the caribou are. He might have to hop scotch planes to get the cub into where they are but that’s generally not an issue. The issue is he is one man show, and his prices are more than double the going rates. Like crazy expensive. That said I would fly with him again anytime.

Jim Cummings is great guy he stopped as few years ago taking out caribou hunters as the 40 mile herd been too far to the east and he told me he can’t guarantee that he could get me where I needed to be. I think he is still doing moose hunts and he has couple killer moose spots that he flys in on floats!
I am glad to hear you had a good experience with Tok Air, we did end up booking with him for this fall and our group is super excited.

We don’t have our dates yet but should know soon when he would like us there. Have 95% of our all gear and just have everything dialed.

Any advise you would have about the area and flying with Zak I’m all ears!

This is a perfect debut to HT. I hope yall get into em and I can’t wait to read the write up! Good luck.

I am glad to hear you had a good experience with Tok Air, we did end up booking with him for this fall and our group is super excited.

We don’t have our dates yet but should know soon when he would like us there. Have 95% of our all gear and just have everything dialed.

Any advise you would have about the area and flying with Zak I’m all ears!
I hunted caribou in the 40 Mile country many times, last Fall's hunt was my last remote AK hunt. All of those stories are posted in the Caribou subforum, if you search you can find them and get a good idea of the general terrain you will be hunting.

I hunted caribou in the 40 Mile country many times, last Fall's hunt was my last remote AK hunt. All of those stories are posted in the Caribou subforum, if you search you can find them and get a good idea of the general terrain you will be hunting.
Meant to say all of those stories are posted in this subforum, sorry for any confusion.

I'm shocked to read the cautions about RAM air...I had a buddy go with them and they had nothing but good things to say. All 4 killed their bulls in 2 days and they were studs. I was looking to maybe book with them in 2028

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back