Caribou Gear

Looking for new leupold scope

According to the rep from Leupold, 2025 is going to get very interesting with the new scopes and a few changes to the bino lineup. Unless your scope is super old and failing, I would wait considering the price. I have a vx5 3-15x44 and love it. The firedots are great especially with the CDS system.

Maybe if your noticing something failing with the older scope, contact leupold and see what they can do until your ready to buy. I know people who had "old" scopes and they basically just replaced it with a brand new comparable scope of this year.

ALSO, if you are deciding to just buy now, then I would do it now. Leupold has a $400 off deal for VX-6HD rebate going on.

@howl Good question. Vx3 is about five years old. Great scope. I have been shooting the rifle a lot more lately. I used to only bow hunt but have really fallen in love with rifle hunting and shooting in general. Last year my self imposed limit was 200 yards for hunting. During the past year I have gotten comfortable out to 300, as long as I'm not dealing with a crosswind. My goal next year is to shoot target out to 600 yards (not hunt) so I can be very confident hunting at 300.

Currently, I have zero set at 200 and rely on holdover. I would like the option now to at least have the option to set elevation when Ihave the time to do it. I think it is worth it if it helps to reduce the possibility of a bad shot.

I also plan to hunt black bear this spring. Enter the question regarding the firedot.

Lastly, if I'm going to change, upgrading to better quality glass probably makes sense if it buys more time around sunrise and sunset. I'm and I wear glasses. I will take any help with light and vision I can get. Specifically in the morning. It may be legal light but I usually wait a tiny bit longer these days to make sure I have clear visibility.

I have 4 VX 5 HDs in 3-15x44; very clear and good in low light. Having said that, I'm not sure how much of a step up it is vs VX 3; the glass is better, but by how much?

After flirting with Trijicon (warranty only to original owner, so I nixed that one), I picked up a used Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 with all the goodies (extra turret, level, etc.) at a steal so got it.

However, this is likely my next scope; Tract Toric UHD FFP Illuminated 2.5-15x44 Getting rave reviews. SCHOTT glass, Leupold/Vortex type warranty.

Last edited:
I have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Firedot and love it! It resides atop my Winchester Model 70 SS Super Grade in .264 Win mag. I also have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 56 Firedot on my .257 Wby mag, which will be with me on November 15th...Michigan's Firearm opener. They are great scopes!

According to the rep from Leupold, 2025 is going to get very interesting with the new scopes and a few changes to the bino lineup. Unless your scope is super old and failing, I would wait considering the price. I have a vx5 3-15x44 and love it. The firedots are great especially with the CDS system.

Maybe if your noticing something failing with the older scope, contact leupold and see what they can do until your ready to buy. I know people who had "old" scopes and they basically just replaced it with a brand new comparable scope of this year.

ALSO, if you are deciding to just buy now, then I would do it now. Leupold has a $400 off deal for VX-6HD rebate going on.
I really, really hope they put out a Mk5 that will track and hold zero. I they could do that and repair their reputation in that area they would rule the market in that class of scope. Out of all the scopes I looked through for my last build I loved everything about the MK5, best in class in most areas, but I just couldn't pull the trigger and went with nightforce instead. Being an Oregon native it hurt to leave Leupold. So many others have stated the same exact thing and I wish Leupold would start listening.

I have four VX5 HDs 3-15x44 with the Impact 29 reticle. I also have a VX6 HD 3-18 with the Illuminated Impact29 reticle. Ive done some long range shooting and just love the ability to use the reticle if I need to quickly. I wish they offered the VX5s with that illuminated reticle with the Impact 29. Those are great scopes and I haven't had tracking issues. Im disappointed with Leupold with the $550 laser ranger finder i bought. 1st one shit the bed after 15 months and they quickly sent a new one. But what if this second one goes bad?? I paid fricken $550 for the 1st one. Anyways, love their scopes. Never had a problem holding zero.

I'm kinda pizzed at Leopold. Every seller on egay and cramazon has my scope I want by the truckloads. I'm fortunate that I can buy through Leopolds VIP program but they don't have a scope and probably not for weeks!!!

The field of view on the vx5/6 is so much better than the vx3 series. It's incredible how much you can see with the vx5. Definitely recommend going with the vx5 series if you can afford. Worth every penny

I just got a vx5-hd 2-10x42 with firedot today not mounted yet. I bought it to replace a 30 year old Nikon Monarch. It’s raining and very cloudy I compared the vx-5 to a Leupold vx-3hd 3.5-10x40in the woods. The vx5 is a little brighter. For a tree stand gun when in the woods before daylight and staying after dark the vx-5 is very good. The firedot is great. On the 3 lowest settings I could keep it inside the big end of a gallon milk jug no problem at 350 yards. For a general purpose deer rifle I like the vx-3hd 3.5-10x40 better. The vx-5 is heavy to me and the 30mm Leupold back country rings are also noticeably heavier than 1 inch rings. I don’t want to make it sound like I don’t like the scope I love it for it’s purpose. This setup is for a tree stand rifle and I really like it. For a all around hunting rifle I think the Vx-3hd is more suitable. Hope this helps. Thanks to Schmalts this is the second Leupold from him. His prices are great he is very fast shipper and sends tracking with the scope. I highly recommend him.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back