Looking for DIY ideas , something different to hunt

What about surf and turf? The Meateater episode in Hawaii got me excited. I actually know a guy in Spokane that got motivated and did it. He had a blast, and it’s Hawaii.
Unfortunately my wife does not hunt and Im pretty sure if I tried to set something up in Hawaii she would want to go along on that one. I think the conflict of our interest in being in Hawaii would mess the whole hunt part up. It does sound like a good time though

That’s why I’m trying to help a fellow hunter out if is interested
on the hunt, this is the only way can be done
I can provide him with the proper documentation and hi’s good to go
on hi’s own, if this isn’t something that he is not interested not problem
good luck
Is this Shoresy posting? Reads like it was dictated around a well-packed lip.

Never got into hunting them with dogs. I like to still hunt through the woods looking and listening trying to get right in the middle of a sounder and then let the .22 Mag eat. Very satisfying to get rid of the things and wild pork loin is one heckuva bonus.

Some of those species in New Mexico sure sound intriguing.

I want to go after spring bear. Just haven’t wrapped my mind around sacrificing turkey hunting to do it.
Spot and stalk spring bear hunt is on my short list as well. Just won’t work this spring. It might be possible to do both turkey and bear at the same time as suggested by another person?

good luck
Im guessing I didn’t draw AZ elk as mine was still in pending status as of yesterday. When I know for sure I will begin trying to figure out a different hunt for this fall. I agree NM in the summer would be too hot most likely. We can talk more when I know how AZ draw went for sure

Spot and stalk spring bear hunt is on my short list as well. Just won’t work this spring. It might be possible to do both turkey and bear at the same time as suggested by another person?
Absolutely. Bear hunting is better in the evenings. Mornings can be spent turkey hunting or sleeping. Nights are late bear hunting in May - sunset is after 9 with legal shooting light later. If you have any walk involved you won’t be back to camp until 11 or later. Kill a bear and you’ve a late night.

The waterfowl field hunting is about as close to DIY as guided can be. I was talked into a SK guided hunt a few years back to fill in for someone who dropped out of a party at last minute. The guide dropped us off with decoys and layout blinds in the morning. He had recorded calls which is legal. Just turn on and off as needed. No dogs neccessary for field hunting. Then he picked us up when we called. My dogs were in the Jimmy and cleaned up any loose cripples when we had a break in the action.

I have great goose hunting twenty minutes from my house but my best day here doesn't compare to a crappy day out there. Unbelievable. Yeah, I have shot a pile of big game over the years but it just doesn't compare to bird hunting. 1000% more action. Nothing like wasting years and $$$ piling up points for nonresident license, drive across the continent to take a stab in the dark hunting a strange place, only to drive back home after a week having never seen anything to shoot at. I'm also a pheasant hunting junkie but that requires a good dog, good physical condition, and some knowledge of the terrain and game. On the other hand, I would say anyone who spent an afternoon and a couple boxes of shells with a coach at a trap range would be good to go for Canadian prairies goose hunting. Its not that hard when thousands of geese are trying to land on top of the shooter. Nothing fancy needed for equipment. 3" twelve gauge 870 or Mossberg 500 pump would kill birds just fine.
I have tried duck and goose hunting before, I guess I’m just not a fan of the taste of most waterfowl. I live on a river out in the country with duck and geese around all year, there are probably 25-50 on the island behind my place right now. I appreciate the offer but it’s just not my thing

I have tried duck and goose hunting before, I guess I’m just not a fan of the taste of most waterfowl. I live on a river out in the country with duck and geese around all year, there are probably 25-50 on the island behind my place right now. I appreciate the offer but it’s just not my thing
Sure, no problem. If you ever happen to change your mind, I have a goose jerky recipe to die for. Warning! If you decide to try shooting at moving targets, it's very hard to stop.

I think American big game hunters have to be guided in Ontario, correct?
I’m sure it would be fun but I have been on multiple black bear hunts and too many turkey hunts to count. I love doing both but I think the next Bear hunt I do will be spot and stalk as I have not done that one yet. As far as the turkeys, I have shot so many of them that now I pretty much just call for friends, I enjoy helping others experience the hunt more than shooting them myself. Thanks for the offer though

Sure, no problem. If you ever happen to change your mind, I have a goose jerky recipe to die for. Warning! If you decide to try shooting at moving targets, it's very hard to stop.
I’ve been hunting pheasants since The 70’s, I’m probably not quite as good of a wing shooter as I once was but I still shoot a few birds from time to time

If you put in for Colorado points then you probably have a small game license. There are some people on here that will give you some good trophy marmot spots privately if you ask.

I agree, that would be an awsome hunt as long as it wasn’t 110 degrees out. What month do these hunts take place
If you put in for Colorado points then you probably have a small game license. There are some people on here that will give you some good trophy marmot spots privately if you ask.
Post a pic of your best trophy marmot mount, I would love to see it

I’ve been hunting pheasants since The 70’s, I’m probably not quite as good of a wing shooter as I once was but I still shoot a few birds from time to time
I have actually tried goose jerky and it was good, but that is about the only way I have tried goose that I have liked

good luck
You guys are all doing a great job with the suggestions, just trying to figure out what I would like to do this year

Red rider and the trophies were the brown flying ones that made a snapping noise as they flew. Also shot flies off mom and dads wooden fence until dad was mowing and noticed all the bbs in the wood. Had a tough time sitting down for a while after that one
Been there.

Back