Caribou Gear

Livestock

Hatchie Dawg

Planning to hunt a portion of a designated wilderness in CO 1st rifle but found out today that livestock may be grazing in the area. I have been told that if livestock are there the elk will not be.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I started the debate about cattle just by asking a similar question as you. For me I was just asking a question to see what other people experiences were. I certainly did not intend to start a political debate. That being said, I just went out last Friday night and set a trail camera in a new area I want to hunt this year. I saw a dozen or so Elk in the area and could hear cattle mooing in the area as well. I set my camera anyway to see if my theory had any weight. I do know that according to the schedule that I got from the Forest Service the cattle should be moved out by now or shortly. I won't check my camera for a week or two so I really won't know what is going on until then. I'm hoping to see some Elk come to the water hole my camera is set up on and I expect to see cattle as well.

I didn't post much on the other thread, but I'll throw in a couple comments here. The public land I hunt out in Wyoming is mixed in with private property and there are Angus all over the place unless the weather reports look so bad that the ranchers take them down to a lower elevation. I watch elk all the time mixed right in with cows eating in the same pastures and the animals don't seem to bother each other at all. The only time I've seen any interaction was one night when I was deer hunting and I was watching over a small water hole. There were a few Angus at the west end and a couple at the east end when a nice 6x6 bull came to the water. Those two Angus pestered him and wouldn't let him get close to the water and finally ran him off. I couldn't believe a good bull that went at least 300" with headgear like that would let a cow run him off!

Last edited:
I had a horse take a big bite out of my 4 wheeler seat in Colorado. Guess I parked in his spot.;)

I watched 2 decent bulls last Sunday in the area I hunt and where I will be opening morning. There were cows dotted everywhere. They don't bother each other up there.

I had a horse take a big bite out of my 4 wheeler seat in Colorado. Guess I parked in his spot.;)

Thats funny, my folks horses took a couple of good chunks(1" wide x5" long) of paint out of their car a few years ago. We also have them chew the top rail on our corrals all the time. They are funny sometimes.

Thats funny, my folks horses took a couple of good chunks(1" wide x5" long) of paint out of their car a few years ago. We also have them chew the top rail on our corrals all the time. They are funny sometimes.

These two were free roaming about 900 acres of private we were hunting. They both kept a watchful eye on the two tenderfoot interlopers trespassing their domain.

After almost 13,000 posts you'd think he could post a dang picture. :cool:

Off-season + election year = anything can and probably will become a political debate.

I spoke with an acquaintance that has hunted the same area and he seemed to support what is on here. In his experience cattle were not much of an issue but a large flock of sheep was another story.

I guess I really won't know until I get up there but trying to get better info out of the Public Lands Office and also the terrestrial biologist.

May have to move a bit. We'll see.....better go run.

HD

These two were free roaming about 900 acres of private we were hunting. They both kept a watchful eye on the two tenderfoot interlopers trespassing their domain.

A good buddy had a 4 wheeler seat bitten by a black bear. He swears it was thet one that he had missed the week before!!!!

I spoke with an acquaintance that has hunted the same area and he seemed to support what is on here. In his experience cattle were not much of an issue but a large flock of sheep was another story.

I guess I really won't know until I get up there but trying to get better info out of the Public Lands Office and also the terrestrial biologist.

May have to move a bit. We'll see.....better go run.

HD
I'd try to get a hold of the Range Conservationist for that area. They would have all the info you'd need in regards to the grazing; class of livestock, times, and should know of any moves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back