Caribou Gear Tarp

Little help for the New Guy

firek920

Myself and a friend are looking to go on our first hunting trip. We both hunt whitetail in IN and are looking to try pronghorn in WY. We are both passionate about archery so would love to try with our bows. We are hoping to try to hunt in 2014 with just over the counter tags. If you were new like me but have the knowledge that you have now what unit would you go to? I am open to public and paying a small trespass fee. Any input would be great I try to read all your post and get as much knowledge as I can but I am still having a hard time figuring this process out. Thanks in advance and be safe.

Check out the fish and game page...read a lot of the info. The best teacher is going out and doing it. Read the draw odds for each unit - find one with a lot of public land and and water. Hike away from the roads. A call to the area biologist doesn't hurt at all. Have fun - it's a very good hunt to start your western adventure. Most Wy units have a great population of pronghorn.

WY G&F has a lot of info on their site. Understand that the more public land in an area, the harder the draw odds. The more private, the easier to draw and the greater likelihood that access can be a challenge on your first trip or two, until you get some time on the ground and learn some of the public places in the areas that are predominantly private.

Good luck.

Check out the fish and game page...read a lot of the info. The best teacher is going out and doing it. Read the draw odds for each unit - find one with a lot of public land and and water. Hike away from the roads. A call to the area biologist doesn't hurt at all. Have fun - it's a very good hunt to start your western adventure. Most Wy units have a great population of pronghorn.

all of these things. Water was everywhere out there this year, but, that wasn't the case in 2012. It all changes year to year. Pour over all the info on the website and narrow it down that way along with the public access. Good luck. RJ

I joined this site to get the same info. What part of Indiana are you from?

The main issue is whether you are going to pay an access fee, or hunt public. There is plenty of public without a fee, but you will have to look at BLM and state maps and make a decision. The only over-the-counter permits are generally going to be doe/fawn and some of those high quotas were even sold out shortly after they went on sale. If there are lots of permits left, then it usually means that the access is limited with lots of private property.

Thoroughly peruse the G and F website and go from there. You can get a list of landowners for the area that you decide on.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back