Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Limb chicken, hoecake, mayhaw jelly

Okay, now that I know what we are talking about, I'm intrigued. I tried it once, just deep fried. Nothing to write home about. But it looks like with a bit more effort, they are quite good to eat.

So, will any squirrel make do? The ones I see here in montana are a quite a bit smaller than the ones I'd see in New England.
Never even thought of eating a pine squirrel. mtmuley

Okay, now that I know what we are talking about, I'm intrigued. I tried it once, just deep fried. Nothing to write home about. But it looks like with a bit more effort, they are quite good to eat.

So, will any squirrel make do? The ones I see here in montana are a quite a bit smaller than the ones I'd see in New England.

They're not all the same. Our grey squirrels, especially the young ones, are great eating. I don't bother with our fox squirrels. They eat a lot of pine nuts and are extra chewy.

That Mexican red sauce makes most things edible, tho. I'd pressure cook, pick the meat and then make enchiladas.

Depends where you are I suppose. The fox squirrels I hunted back east ate a lot of acorns in the fall always tasted good, couldn't tell a difference between them and Grey squirrel as far as taste goes

They're not all the same. Our grey squirrels, especially the young ones, are great eating. I don't bother with our fox squirrels. They eat a lot of pine nuts and are extra chewy.

That Mexican red sauce makes most things edible, tho. I'd pressure cook, pick the meat and then make enchiladas.
I don't notice a lot of difference here where it's mostly acorns but my wife swears Grey's are better.
I never thought it would be possible to be culinarily turned off by one of your posts, but you lost me at brains
My grandpa on my mom's side ate cow brains and scrambled eggs for breakfast at least twice a week. I still do it occasionally as it reminds me of him.

That's correct; tongue, jaw muscles and brains, a real delicacy. I disagree with you though on the part about squirrel tasting like chicken; it tastes like squirrel. Cooked to tender in a pressure cooker then breaded and fried. Makes the best gravy you ever ate. For the above reason I no longer eat the heads.
Ive watched my granny sit with a soup spoon and crack them open like boiled eggs... She/We would boil them whole and after picking the meat off the bones she would enjoy her bowl full of all of that. I ate some odd stuff as a youngin and love some squirrel cooked about every way you can imagin but never got a taste for squirrel heads.

The guy who first associated eating squirrel brains with CJD was practically crucified in parts of the south. We had calf brains and eggs growing up too. Can't imagine doing it now.

But squirrels were yummy; very much miss them and cottontails as table fare. We had them with gravy, too, but just with regular biscuits. My Mom grew up in a large farming family, and they would make three dishpans full of biscuits for breakfast, and again for dinner (lunch). Cornbread was for supper.

The guy who first associated eating squirrel brains with CJD was practically crucified in parts of the south. We had calf brains and eggs growing up too. Can't imagine doing it now.

But squirrels were yummy; very much miss them and cottontails as table fare. We had them with gravy, too, but just with regular biscuits. My Mom grew up in a large farming family, and they would make three dishpans full of biscuits for breakfast, and again for dinner (lunch). Cornbread was for supper.
I think the Oxford in Missoula still serves brains and eggs. Was there drunk a few times but not that drunk. mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back