Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Limb chicken, hoecake, mayhaw jelly

Fried squirrel. Fuzzy tail things that run around in trees while tasting like chicken...

If you don't know gravy from fry oil I can't help you.

Hoecake is kinda like biscuit if made with wheat flour. 1 part fat/oil, 2 parts liquid, 4 parts flour/meal. Crisco:self-rising:buttermilk is hard to beat. A warm, well greased cast iron pan is best. Bake 25 minutes at 425. Write this down.

Mayhaw jelly is made from mayhaw fruit. It tastes awful. We like to trick yankees into trying it, is the only reason we still make it. (yw)

Last edited:
Never heard of the hocake but I’d give it a shot, looks like a big biscuit lol

I like mayhaw jelly, haven’t had that since I was a kid!

It all looks good especially the jelly. Love squirrel some of those city folk don't know what they're missing. My mom use to eat the brains on toast lit much for me.
I never thought it would be possible to be culinarily turned off by one of your posts, but you lost me at brains

They say the brains, tongues and cheeks are the best parts. I'll never know.

They say the brains, tongues and cheeks are the best parts. I'll never know.
That's correct; tongue, jaw muscles and brains, a real delicacy. I disagree with you though on the part about squirrel tasting like chicken; it tastes like squirrel. Cooked to tender in a pressure cooker then breaded and fried. Makes the best gravy you ever ate. For the above reason I no longer eat the heads.

Okay, now that I know what we are talking about, I'm intrigued. I tried it once, just deep fried. Nothing to write home about. But it looks like with a bit more effort, they are quite good to eat.

So, will any squirrel make do? The ones I see here in montana are a quite a bit smaller than the ones I'd see in New England.

Okay, now that I know what we are talking about, I'm intrigued. I tried it once, just deep fried. Nothing to write home about. But it looks like with a bit more effort, they are quite good to eat.

So, will any squirrel make do? The ones I see here in montana are a quite a bit smaller than the ones I'd see in New England.
Yeah, just need more of em

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back