Lightweight Rifle ?

If that's with the scope then either the scale is off or Brownings specs are off. They have it listed as 6#13oz for the rifle alone. Add in 20oz+ for the scope, bases, and rings...

Either way, I'm glad you like the rifle. I kinda did the color combo they did on the HC Speed

I think specs are off, I haven't done much to it to shave anything off. When you pick it up it just feels like a light gun. I got it with sheep hunting and high country hunts in mind.

Tikka in 300 mag if that's the caliber you like. I shoot one in 338 Win. without any issues.

I just got a Kimber Adirondack in .308 and it shoots amazing. Topped it with a little vortex 4-12x40 scope and it weighs in just under 5.5 pounds. My only complaint was the recoil was quite spirited (as you can imagine). :D Called kimber and ordered the muzzle break and this ditched almost all felt recoil. 178 gr ELD-X bullet dropped a bull in his tracks at 225 yards the first time out. Highly recommend it!

I just got a Kimber Adirondack in .308 and it shoots amazing. Topped it with a little vortex 4-12x40 scope and it weighs in just under 5.5 pounds. My only complaint was the recoil was quite spirited (as you can imagine). :D Called kimber and ordered the muzzle break and this ditched almost all felt recoil. 178 gr ELD-X bullet dropped a bull in his tracks at 225 yards the first time out. Highly recommend it!

I love the weight of those, I am just hesitant about the short barrel. I'm not really into long range 'shooting', as I prefer 'hunting' to shooting, but every now and then in the west 500 yards is just as close as your going to get on that day. Is that gun somewhat capable at that range with practice? How is it grouping for you?

I love the weight of those, I am just hesitant about the short barrel. I'm not really into long range 'shooting', as I prefer 'hunting' to shooting, but every now and then in the west 500 yards is just as close as your going to get on that day. Is that gun somewhat capable at that range with practice? How is it grouping for you?

its advertised as a sub-moa rifle. it groups well for me but like you stated... I am a hunter...not a "marksman"....if that makes sense. In other words...all the variablility (there isn't much) is easily as much my fault as the rifles. But I guess I wouldn't even dream of taking a 500 yard shot.... especially where I hunt. I need to get a sled and take it to a range and see what it can really do. For what I use it for and for what my ability is....it shoots very well.

I've been looking for a lighter weight rifle. While my Winchester 54 in .30-06 with a 4x Leupold Alaskan scope is a pretty slim and light rig, I keep eyeing the Kimber Ascent in .30-06. The Kimber threaded barrel would couple well with a Silencerco muzzle brake and a 7.62 Omega suppressor which I have on order.. The 14.2 oz. can on the end of the barrel should tame the flighty character of the light barrelled rifle. Recoil from the .30-06 isn't an issue with me now at age 65, but it might be in a few more years. The brake should lessen muzzle rise and the suppressor will soften felt recoil possibly negating the harsh light rifle effect. That's what I'm looking at. Will anyone dissuade me?

My experience is that taking quick shots at elk in the woods rarely allows for applying hearing protection. Unless you hunt at long distances, elk don't stand around waiting for you put in ear plugs. I see lightweight rifles with integral muzzle brakes and suppressors as the next big evolution in hunting rifles.

Anyone here using a suppressed lightweight rifle for big game?

Have you ever thought about a Model 70 Featherweight or Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem? I have a buddy who shoots a Model 70 Featherweight in 280 Rem using hand loaded 160 Partitions and he has had great success on everything from speed goats to bull elk over the last 20 years with this combo.

Have you ever thought about a Model 70 Featherweight or Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem? I have a buddy who shoots a Model 70 Featherweight in 280 Rem using hand loaded 160 Partitions and he has had great success on everything from speed goats to bull elk over the last 20 years with this combo.

I really want to stay with a caliber that I am familiar with, like the 300 Win. Mag. or a 30-06.
I am leaning toward the Tikka TC3 lite in either the 300 Win. Mag. or The 30-06. and just put the limbsaver recoil pad on it. to calm the recoil down a little.
I would like to put my hands on 1, but so far none of the shops that I have checked have one in stock.
I just made some more calls, and fouund a shop the has the TC3 in 300 Mag. in stock, going to check it out tomorrow, so at-least I will know how it feels.

Kevin

Last edited:
I too am almost 60....yikes.....and wanted light weight and control ability. I looked at Savage light and Howa and even the Kimber.....my....they feel so light and nice.......but I knew hiking in the back country is never overly kind to my belongings....especially if there is weather. So I went less expensive and just picked up a Mossberg Patriot youth model 308......OAL of 38".....weight with a Vortex 4-12 Diamondback AO and heavy 3 screw rings came to 7.25 lbs combined total. My cost of both new...gun from Buds sale and scope from Cabelas sale was a grand total of $380. I know......not exactly a fine collectors.....but a great hunter that's very light/easy to carry/stow. My only problem now is that I have a little extra weight in my wallet

IMG_20161108_115632082.jpgIMG_20161108_115505148.jpg

Last edited:
I too am almost 60....yikes.....and wanted light weight and control ability. I looked at Savage light and Howa and even the Kimber.....my....they feel so light and nice.......but I knew hiking in the back country is never overly kind to my belongings....especially if there is weather. So I went less expensive and just picked up a Mossberg Patriot youth model 308......OAL of 38".....weight with a Vortex 4-12 Diamondback AO and heavy 3 screw rings came to 7.25 lbs combined total. My cost of both new...gun from Buds sale and scope from Cabelas sale was a grand total of $380. I know......not exactly a fine collectors.....but a great hunter that's very light/easy to carry/stow. My only problem now is that I have a little extra weight in my wallet

View attachment 64288View attachment 64289

Those are nice rifles for the price, for sure. I buy a rifle to use-not look at-so I have a hard time worrying about scratches. I refuse to have one that is to look at and one to shoot. They are a tool, in my opinion.

I have a friend that collects valuable double shotguns-Purdys etc. He HUNTS with them. They are not just to look at in his mind. He got the regs changed in NM, so that he could hunt with his old 8 gauges during turkey season.

Well......I spoke a little early......the extra weight in the wallet is now gone in that I found it's favorite appetite is for factory Hornady 165 GMX. Living in Cali sort of forces the issue of utilizing lead free from the get go and finding among the meager picking what shoots best. Found that with this load I can zero at 200....get 1.5 " high at 100 and 1.5 sentensions at 300 yds. I had difficulty with some other factory loads getting a flat enough trajectory till the SuperPerformance arrived. It does make a big difference for me in a short 20" barrel.

Hi Kevin,I am new here and I spend a lot of time on keeping my gear lightweight and portable.These days I take a Browning BLR takedown everywhere..I love it.I have a scout scope on it and it holds point and I can easily take it down and put it in a small pack when neaded.It is very portable and light enough to carry around by hand.I even shortened both ends and now it is 39"long overall.I hunt sheep primarily with this .270 win.Works for me and I'm 58 now

I bought the Mossberg Patriot/Vortex combo in wood stock. Has become my favorite. I had been wanting an .06 for a long time due to it's versatility. Shot a doe yesterday using 150 Remington Core-Lokt's. She didn't even kick. DRT. Love the weight of this firearm.IMG_0734.jpg

View attachment 64288View attachment 64289

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back