KUIU - Base layer

JMG

I am looking into the KUIU - Base layers and have a question regarding the Merino wool base layers. For those of you who have one of these items, can you explain which base layer would be better (185 gram vs. 230 gram vs. 250 gram).

http://shop.kuiu.com/storefront.aspx

I have seen and felt the 185 and it seems aughly "thin".

What are your opinions or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks.

I wear a synthetic wicking long sleeve underlayer under the 185. Works fine & helps with the itch. My contention with KUIU is the stingy fit. Seems about one size off.

I have the 185 which I prefer because I hunt allot of early season archery. I know WV Hunter has the 230 and maybe the 185 as well. Maybe he'll chime in.

I also have a First Lite Llano which I think is a superior product.

I have all three and prefer the 185. It is a finer wool and feels great next to the skin. I've worn it in conditions from 5 degrees to 109.

When I need more insulation, I throw on the 250 over it. Coupled together they are a great pair.

The 230 is a touch different as it has a brushed synthetic layer on the inside so it has a better next to skin feel.

I have the 185 and the 250. I wear the 185 the most and haven't noticed any itch. If I wear the 250, I wear it over the 185, but I think the 250 would be itchy if worn next to skin.

The 185 is the shirt I wear most often. Only downfall to it is it isn't very durable. I have a couple of small pinholes in it from snagging it on brush. Still very functional and comfortable.

Ron

I had the 185 and 230 and I didn't really care for either so I got rid of them. I prefer the feel and fit of Firstlite. I felt like the 185 wasn't soft enough next to skin and the 230 was ok as a second layer but just didn't like the sizing.

I wear a synthetic wicking long sleeve underlayer under the 185. Works fine & helps with the itch. My contention with KUIU is the stingy fit. Seems about one size off.

I have the 185 which I prefer because I hunt allot of early season archery. I know WV Hunter has the 230 and maybe the 185 as well. Maybe he'll chime in.

I also have a First Lite Llano which I think is a superior product.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy the lighter weight and I would buy something other than KUIU. The 230 weight was good while stand hunting in Nov and Dec here in WV but was a little to much moving around in Wyoming during archery elk. It was only comfortable when I wore a under armor synthetic t shirt underneath. It itched and the stitching around the pits sucked.

Come to think of it I have the core4 in the lightweight merino. I like the feel of it but the piece of crap had a hole in it when I bought it. Didn't realize till I got it out of the package 3 months later.

As far as wool goes, like the First Lite and Filson better.

*...it's just that miller looks so darned cute in the vias KUIU.:D

If I had to do it all over again I would buy the lighter weight and I would buy something other than KUIU. The 230 weight was good while stand hunting in Nov and Dec here in WV but was a little to much moving around in Wyoming during archery elk.

The 230 wasn't announced until late October, how'd you have it for archery elk? Or are you referring to the 250?

Thanks, guys.

NoHarleyYet . . . when you say "one size off" . . . too small or too large?

The 230 wasn't announced until late October, how'd you have it for archery elk? Or are you referring to the 250?

I'm special? Must be 250 then. I just know at the time I bought the heavier one. Whatever number it is :D

Thanks, guys.

too small....First Lite's XL Merino 1/4 zip is true size...KUIU's feels like a Large. Guide Jacket is the same way.

Thanks, guys.

My son is 6" 175....he'll be getting my KUIU XL Jacket and 185 1/4 zip. I never used it after trying it on.

185 is a good all around weight. I'd go with the new 230 brushed top as my second layer over the 250. More durable and more comfortable.

Don't tumble dry any of your merino...any vendors will shrink up. The new KUIU sizing should be true to size on the shirts as they added length to the arms and waist.

185 is very comfortable to me. I wore 7 days straight in Colorado last yr in temps 30-60. Great shirt and never smelled at all! Best underlayer I have ever owned by far.

Back