PEAX Equipment

Length of Pull, Shotgun vs. Rifle

R

rwc101

I recently shortened the length of pull on my shotgun, and it did wonders for me. My rifle came with a much shorter length of pull from the factory than the shotgun. Does anyone find they need a shorter lop for rifles than shotguns?

I use the same 14" lop for all of my rifles and shotguns. I have lengthened my factory stocks to that length and the stocks that I made are also made to that length. However, although I shoot almost every week through the year, most of my shooting is done in the warmer months when I'm not wearing a heavy (thick) coat, which will change your lop.

In shotgun shooting, your rear sight is your dominate eye, and the fit of your gun is VERY important. When shooting at flying or moving targets you don't have much time to "get into" your gun so the gun fit must be perfect as soon as you mount your gun. This is where a stock with an adjustable lop would be very beneficial. You could easily and quickly change the lop to fit the cloths that you are wearing.

In shotgun shooting, your rear sight is your dominate eye, and the fit of your gun is VERY important. When shooting at flying or moving targets you don't have much time to "get into" your gun so the gun fit must be perfect as soon as you mount your gun.

^^^^^^^^^This

I find it very important to my shotgun shooting to get a perfect stock fit for the reasons buffy mentions, but for hunting rifles I shoot whatever the factory LOP is and haven't noticed any problems. I do adjust LOP in my range/target guns that have chasis or adjustable butts but don't notice much benefit there.

Back