Last weekend - Prairie Dogs in AZ

Calif. Hunter

My 10-year old wanted to go back to Arizona to shoot some more prairie dogs, so my friend John and I took him back last weekend (8-22-08). Here he is just before he shot one's head off. He insisted that this time he wanted to shoot the .223 off the bench and was tired of his .22 rimfire....

mikey_pd_2.jpg

Notice that he is wearing my Model 19, too. That is now 3 guns I have "lost" to him...

This is right after he "blew chunks" at about 150 yards.... John was also very patient with him, and I appreciated that very much! Michael is about the same age as John's grandson, so we hope to get them on a trip together.

mikey_pd_1.jpg

We didn't see too many other hunters, but we were on the south side of 66. We got into a decent number of dogs, but the grass and brush was pretty high and thick - at least compared to June! It made it harder to spot the dogs and easier for them to hide. Of course, with 3 of us shooting, none of us had as many shots as a solo shooter would have. I think I ended up with about 10 on Saturday, Mikey got about 4 and John was having an off days, so he ended up with about 6. His gun was about 4 inches off when we started.... he did much better on Sunday morning.

john___pd.jpg

That is now 3 guns I have "lost" to him...
:D has he picked his deer gun yet? :D

you are doing a fine job there Rick.:)

Nope - not me! That's my friend, John, wearing the hat and the camo. I was in shorts and a tank top!!! And a Hunt Talk hat, of course. (Plus John is a LOT older than me... :) )

JB - his favorite gun in still the Mini-14. I am lucky and have one that manages 2-inch groups at 100 yards.... He hasn't yet progressed to anything larger than an M-1 carbine. I expect him to like the Savage 340 bolt action .30-30, the Remington 660 .308 or the Tikka .243. (The first two with light bullet loads, either 125 or 130 gr.)

After work today, I pick up his 870 youth 20 guage. He is anxious to get after the birds next. It has been a tough 10 day wait for him. Every morning, he asks "When do I get my shotgun?"

Cali, before its all said and done, I bet he likes them all. :D

.....really looking forward to some father and son hunting pics and stories from you guys.

Yeah, he has already looked over all the guns in the gun safe as I was checking my inventory to make sure they were all listed, and he picked out three of the oldest, cheapest .22's, saying, "Kyler, Jordan and Cole can have these - the rest are mine." (Those are my grandsons.)

On the way to Arizona, we stopped at the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Victorville and bought him an upland game vest. He was excited about all the pockets, the game pouch and the shotgun shell loops. It is fun to share in his excitement at all these new experiences. :D

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back