MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Landowner preference (voucher) proposed changes

Thought I would share an email I received yesterday about this bill. Look who is being more proactive on this issue.....

I called Rep. Jim Wilson and talked to him at length today about the bill. The only people who have contacted him are outfitters and landowners who are outfitters. His perspective was from theirs only and I gave him a respective earful about how bad this is for the masses of general hunters and how it benefits a very small minority in our hunting community. I emailed him the license allocations. He is a bowhunter and I really think he was taken back at the negative sides of this bill, though he said he would do more research. It was, in my opinion, incredibly helpful to talk to him, as he was pretty uninformed on this subject.

He stated that the next step would be to personally contact the Ag committee as soon as possible with as many folks as possible to get this view of the bill heard. He was very interested in the fact that it will cost so much money that will not go into hunting and or hunting conservation in order to change the system without really benefitting the DOW. If there is any way to get this part heard, please do. We need to contact these folks as they all have been contacted by cattleman’s associations, outfitters, landowners, and those that can line their pockets from this change.

I thought I would let everyone know that the Colorado Wildlife Federation has come out in support of this tag grab.

Why is the big question?

Do they have a position statement?

I also find it hard to believe that the Legislators are only hearing positive things about this bill. I know my emails werent on the positive side at all...but were from a NR's point of view.

It isnt a shock though that hunters are taking their usual apethetic path. I find it funny that many find plenty of time to hunt, and no doubt plenty of time to piss and moan on hunting boards...but then fail to do anything about saving the sport they claim to love so much.

It gets old. But, I guess if nobody is going to get involved...get used to the crumbs you're left with.

Sad...very sad.

I haven't seen an official position statement. But I was on the phone today with a couple of their board members, including the one that sat on the voucher committee, and they mentioned that CWF was in support of the bill. I emailed them at the end of the conference call to confirm what I thought I had heard, and they did confirm it.

Everyone who supports this bill claims that it is a good trade-off to give landowners more vouchers in return for a portion of them being good on private land only.

I'm not doubting it...just cant get my mind around why CWF would be in support of anything that further privatizes the states wildlife resources.

In particular when the DOW is going to lose their butts on it financially and the Resident hunters are going to lose tags.

WOW!

The CPW is fully supportive of this bill, and actually are the ones that asked for it to be introduced. Wrap your mind around that one.

The CPW is fully supportive of this bill, and actually are the ones that asked for it to be introduced. Wrap your mind around that one.

Their support of this is hard to understand. Did CPW put together the committee that crafted the final recommendation and therefore they feel they must support it? Something else? :confused::confused:

If the Department supported it; Colorado Bowhunters supported it; Colorado Wildlife Federation supported it, that explains why it passed 5-0 in the subcommittee.

Yes, CPW convened the committee in 2009. The committee worked for two years to come up with the recommendations. The committee was made up of 3 landowners, 3 sportsman's reps, 1 outfitter rep and 2 CPW employees. They took public comments during the process, but never let sportsmen comment on the final recommendations. I feel like sportsmen told them they had a sore toe, so the committee decided to amputate at the ankle.

Officially, CBA took no stance on the bill. One of their board members was on the committee and testified in favor of the bill. One of the other sportsman's reps is on the CWF board, and he convinced them it was a good compromise for sportsmen.

No joke, this was the response I just received from Matt Jones from my SB13-188 email.....

Dear Jason,

Earlier this week, I voted in committee for three common sense gun safety laws: background checks, fees to pay for background checks and not allowing concealed carry of guns on college campuses. I voted for these bills because I believe that they will save lives and because I think they do not infringe on Second Amendment rights.

I know some will disagree with my votes, but I think many more will agree. Emotions and feelings run high on both sides of this issue. I spent a lot of time listening to different points of view, and researching the information presented to me. For those of you that shared your heartfelt and thoughtful comments in conversation or by e-mail, I appreciate your feedback and participation in the democratic process.

For instance, I believe that everyone buying a gun should have to go through a background check. It makes it more difficult for criminals to obtain a gun. It is estimated by non-partisan legislative staff that about 37% of guns are sold in private transactions and are not currently subject to a background check.

Some argue that since criminals will get guns anyway, doing what we can is not worth the cost of infringing on the Second Amendment rights of citizens. I disagree. We cannot keep all criminals from obtaining guns, but that does not mean we should not take reasonable actions to stop them from getting a gun. Facts show that background checks are effective in keeping guns out of the hands of criminals.

In 2012, there were 343,302 background checks, in the state of Colorado, which prevented 1,571 felons from getting guns. Here is a breakout listing some of the reasons for the 7,462 applicant denials: restraining order – 420, kidnapping – 12, sexual assault – 133, robbery – 76, assault – 1,380, burglary – 618, larceny – 498, dangerous drugs – 1,069. While some of the 7,462 denials were appealed and reversed, I think the original numbers make the point.

Some argue that background checks infringe on Second Amendment Rights. I take the Constitutional Rights of people very seriously. The Supreme Court has determined time and again that there are reasonable limitations on all rights. Most recently, in DC v. Heller, Justice Antonin Scalia wrote, “like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th Century Cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

The massacres at Aurora and at Sandy Hook were wake up calls. Day-to-day gun violence and suicide seem all too common. Both cause death and heartache. That is why I am voting for these and other common sense gun safety laws this session. I believe these laws will save lives.

Thank you,

State Senator Matt Jones

what does that response have to do with this issue? or is that the point

what does that response have to do with this issue? or is that the point

My guess is that is the point. I'm guessing that the "staffers" have been replying to so many emails about the gun bills that they didn't even know what SB13-188 is.

Brophy is in the "it's good for everyone" camp. Especially when his family owns lots of land. He even said how frustrating it is to not be able to draw a tag to hunt his own property.

If I had that much land I'd take those LO tags for myself, no way i'd be selling them.

I've passed this issue onto a local CO hunting website, maybe 2 replies....:W:

Why do landowners get vouchers to hunt public land? It seems weird too me. I can see them perhaps getting vouchers to hunt their private land or as Big Fin said, if they get public land vouchers they must open their property up.

Is there so many game animals thriving on private land in Colorado that they help support the populations on nearby public land?

Is this the logic behind the public land vouchers?

Just curious.

Why do landowners get vouchers to hunt public land? It seems weird too me. I can see them perhaps getting vouchers to hunt their private land or as Big Fin said, if they get public land vouchers they must open their property up.
Good question. Seems weird to me, too. The argument is that there are not always animals on the private lands during the hunting seasons.
Is there so many game animals thriving on private land in Colorado that they help support the populations on nearby public land?

Is this the logic behind the public land vouchers?

Just curious.
The flawed logic is:

Vouchers give landowners the opportunity to hunt on their own lands.

Non-transferable vouchers would do the same thing.

Vouchers help compensate landowers for supporting wildlife populations on their property

There is nothing preventing landowners from selling trespass rights to those who draw tags in the regular drawing. CPW also has a very generous game damage program that will reimburse landowners for damage caused by big game. CPW will also work with landowners to reduce pressure from big game by issuing depredation hunts. There are currently areas in Colorado where we shoot elk from the middle of May through August for this purpose.

If we don't make some concessions to landowners now, they have threatened to run their own bill in the legislature and take an even higher percentage. (This is seriously a major reason why the current bill is being pushed by CPW.:rolleyes:)

Let them do it, and we will fight them when it happens.

This bill is headed to the Senate Appropriations committee next, due to the fiscal note. It has not been calendared yet. The fiscal note says that it will cost $51,800 from the Wildlife Cash Fund to reprogram the draw computers. There is no mention of the lost revenue from allowing landowners more applications in the initial draw.

Current law allows landowners to apply for up to 6 big game licenses free of charge, other than the $3 application fee. Subsequent leftover applications cost $25 to $40, depending on the license. The proposed regulations in SB13-188 will increase the maximum number of "free" licenses from 6 to 19, before having to pay the fees. Therefore, landowners may not be required to pay the fee for up to 13 licenses that would be required under the current law.

As an example, I looked at draw data for deer from last year. There were 1,081 deer vouchers drawn in the leftover draw last year: 828 buck or either sex at $40, and 253 doe at $25. That's $39,445 in deer vouchers. Now how many of those might now be drawn the the initial draw....I'm not sure. I have emailed the Senate Appropriations Committee and asked them to consider this before advancing the bill. Committee members are:

Mary Hodge - Chair
[email protected]
303-866-4855

Pat Steadman - Vice-chair
[email protected]
303-866-4861

Ted Harvey
[email protected]
303-866-4881

Rollie Heath
303-866-4872
[email protected]

Kent Lambert
303-866-4835
[email protected]

Scott Renfroe
303-866-4451
[email protected]

Jessie Ulibarri
303-866-4857
[email protected]

Assuming this makes it out of Appropriations, it will likely be referred to the full Senate next. Wouldn't hurt to start contacting those folks now.

Senate Directory

It's so interesting how different each state is when it comes to managing wildlife. Man, it's almost laughable at times. I amazed at how many so-called Republicans state they are for FREE markets, but they want the odds legislated into their favor. I guess we are all guilty of this at some level, but you gotta love the politics.

No, I am not a Demi either.

Forgot to update that this bill will be heard by Senate Appropriations on Wednesday. Members of that committee are below.

This bill is headed to the Senate Appropriations committee next, due to the fiscal note. It has not been calendared yet. The fiscal note says that it will cost $51,800 from the Wildlife Cash Fund to reprogram the draw computers. There is no mention of the lost revenue from allowing landowners more applications in the initial draw.

Current law allows landowners to apply for up to 6 big game licenses free of charge, other than the $3 application fee. Subsequent leftover applications cost $25 to $40, depending on the license. The proposed regulations in SB13-188 will increase the maximum number of "free" licenses from 6 to 19, before having to pay the fees. Therefore, landowners may not be required to pay the fee for up to 13 licenses that would be required under the current law.

As an example, I looked at draw data for deer from last year. There were 1,081 deer vouchers drawn in the leftover draw last year: 828 buck or either sex at $40, and 253 doe at $25. That's $39,445 in deer vouchers. Now how many of those might now be drawn the the initial draw....I'm not sure. I have emailed the Senate Appropriations Committee and asked them to consider this before advancing the bill. Committee members are:

Mary Hodge - Chair
[email protected]
303-866-4855

Pat Steadman - Vice-chair
[email protected]
303-866-4861

Ted Harvey
[email protected]
303-866-4881

Rollie Heath
303-866-4872
[email protected]

Kent Lambert
303-866-4835
[email protected]

Scott Renfroe
303-866-4451
[email protected]

Jessie Ulibarri
303-866-4857
[email protected]

Assuming this makes it out of Appropriations, it will likely be referred to the full Senate next. Wouldn't hurt to start contacting those folks now.

Senate Directory

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back