Kodiak deer limit reduced for nonresidents

Bluffgruff

I suspect there is a causative relationship between copious internet exposure of Kodiak blacktail hunting and this change in the regs. Not that I would want to kill 3 bucks, and I doubt it changes the number of people hunting, but maybe folks could show restraint and nonresident opportunity won't plummet quite as quickly?

I wonder how many people have 3 locking tags for their trip already?

Screenshot_20230825_153612_Samsung Notes.jpg

Regs:

Edit: Randy and company could have killed 4 bucks on their hunts in SE AK, but chose not to, and I appreciate that attitude.

NR hunters outnumbered residents on Kodiak. It was inevitable.

Lots of talk of NR not going to come, yet there were no cancelations, and all outfitters still booked up. I was hoping for a deal or two, but it seems that people were just fine with shooting one buck. Most NR shot two.

Randy showing restraint is funny. He shoots two truck loads of animals a year.

We went in 2020 and the charted said the deer numbers where down dramatically due to the prior winter and I’ve heard it’s gotten worse don’t think it’s all from people punching tags ak is just trying to cut the deer a break

Randy showing restraint is funny. He shoots two truck loads of animals a year.

I'm not saying he doesn't shoot plenty of animals, but he could have shot 4 deer that trip, and didn't. He saved some deer for the rest of us, and probably didn't ruffle too many feathers by just taking one.

First time my wife and I went to se AK we got one deer locking tag to go with our bear tag between the two of us. This fall, we got one deer locking tag to go with my elk. One firearm between us as always. Only advertisement of said hunts is on HT. Hopefully I'm not too blame too

Would you be interested in hearing where the next restriction will be? (My opinion anyway)

Just do a quick Youtube search on Dalton Highway Caribou and you'll see. It's pretty spectacular how many people feel the need to showcase where they hunt. After the shutdown of caribou on much of the prime hunting areas out of Kotzebue people shifted to the Dalton Highway since it's a less expensive hunt. Most of the air taxi operators who fly to the 40 mile caribou herd will only fly previous clients so it creates a bottleneck for everyone who wants to hunt caribou.

I'm happy people get out and hunt and make memories while putting food in the freezer. I just wish that everyone didn't feel the need to get "Likes" or tell everyone what they are doing to feel good about themselves. Your family and friends, the people who matter most in the world know and that's where the real respect comes from.

Back