Knife Sharpeners

Bowhuntrben

I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for good knife sharpeners? I've used a stone with mixed results and looking for something dummy-proof that can give me more consistent good results.

Been using a Lanski for probably 20 years. Never needed to look for something else.

Do a google search on the harbor freight 1 inch belt sander. I am not a great knife sharpener and was looking for a solution. I started doing searches and came across a lot of people using that. Get some fine grit belts for it and a leather belt with some honing compound. It gets them scary sharp. I had so much fun the first time I was using it and watching blades melt through paper that I sharpened every blade in my house. I was left with a nice pile of confetti on my garage floor afterward. Sharpened 4 of our kitchen knives with it today in about 3 minutes total. I am no knife expert, I just like them sharp, and this does it. I also switched to some basic paring knives for my butchering, as I am not concerned about wearing them out.

It took me a lot of years and more than a few knife blades to figure out how to use a stone and oil. I have it down now and will stick with it. Trying to teach my boys so they can pass it on to their kids someday.

Learned many years ago how to sharpen a blade on stones,any blade,any angle.
I do carry light folding diamonds in my pack for touch up in field.
Every winter I resharpen all my knives before storing and then work on tool blades as I need.
Oil stones & water stones.
I do like the small Gerber ceramic sharpeners that weigh nothing and fit in your pocket too.

Power sharpeners are good for burning up a blade, if you are not extremely careful. There are times when field sharpening is necessary and that takes them out also.

There are gobs of good diamond stones on the market. It took me a long time to get the right feel when sharpening a blade, but it was worth the effort to learn. I used a Lansky for years and it was good as long as you always could keep the angle exactly the same-which was problematic. I used various grinders and regular stones, too. A good, medium-grit diamond stone will do any knife, no matter how hard the steel is. I have several from course to fine, for a variety of jobs, but it is hard to beat a medium-grit for all-around use.

Lansky's system or the KME system are both fantastic and get a knife hair shaving sharp. I could never sharpen a knife until I got the LANSKY sharpener. Sometimes depending on how messed up the edges are it takes some time to get a perfect edge but once you have it, it's simple to touch up a blade later on.

Worksharp Ken Onion edition is what I use. I have various ceramic rods, stones, and other things for in the field touch ups, but nothing even comes close to the performance of the Worksharp for sharpening knives at home.

For field use, my current favorite is a lightweight SOG sharpener. It has a diamond stone, a ceramic rod, and a ferro rod (for starting fires.) Weighs next to nothing.

If I didn't already have a Lansky system, I'd probably be on the lookout of a Worksharp. That said, I've got the edge set on all buy one of my knives now with the Lansky, so getting them sharp again isn't too big of a deal. Once I get a few diamond stones, I'll work on the last one.

Doesn't the belt sander types of sharpeners but on a convex edge? Any issues with that?

Thought I'd give an update. I ended up getting the Ken Onion Edition Work Sharp. This thing is awesome! Thanks for the advice guys..now I will have sharp knives again!!!

I've used a Spyderco Tri for many years....foolproof. Just bought a Lansky Deluxe Diamond kit for Ken Jr....anxious to see it in action. Key is keeping the hones clean.

Thought I'd give an update. I ended up getting the Ken Onion Edition Work Sharp. This thing is awesome! Thanks for the advice guys..now I will have sharp knives again!!!

Always happy to help others spend their money. :)

I've used a Spyderco Tri for many years....foolproof. Just bought a Lansky Deluxe Diamond kit for Ken Jr....anxious to see it in action. Key is keeping the hones clean.

You traditionalists :rolleyes: Still shoot a 30-30? :)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back