Knife confessions

The best way to learn on a stone……buy a cheap knife and keep trying. Ruin the blade and then keep trying. There is a knack to it, I can get a knife sharp in about six swipes on each side of the blade. I always have a stone with me while hunting.

The Lansky system is an easy foolproof way to sharpen knives.

My knife confession is this: I dont believe that you can have steel "so good" that you can break down multiple elk sized animals without sharpening and still have a hair shaving edge when your done. I may be wrong but I would have to see it first hand to believe it. Also, not looking to argue. lol

I was lucky to learn at the knee. He gave me a Diamond Rod at like age 9. He provided some basic instruction and demonstration, and then he would, at random times, demand to see my knife. It had to be sharp. He'd look at it, test it, and give me some more direction. He wasn't a soft teacher, but effective.
I have these stones everywhere. Desk drawer, kitchen drawer, hiking packs, hunting packs, center console of the truck, even my in-laws kitchen drawer.

1641517900431.png

I was lucky to learn at the knee. He gave me a Diamond Rod at like age 9. He provided some basic instruction and demonstration, and then he would, at random times, demand to see my knife. It had to be sharp. He'd look at it, test it, and give me some more direction. He wasn't a soft teacher, but effective.
I have these stones everywhere. Desk drawer, kitchen drawer, hiking packs, hunting packs, center console of the truck, even my in-laws kitchen drawer.

View attachment 208093
I've had the exact same diamond rod for 35 years....I've "sharpened" multiple blades to half of their original dimensions. I've yet to get a serviceable edge.

I was taught to use stones by my grandfather. The guy used two wet stones and could get any blade shaving sharp in minutes.

His words of "quit limp d*cking it" still ring in my ear.

I'm not certain, but I believe he meant that my grip was inconsistent so the angle was constantly changing.

Losing knives sucks. Lost one my dad gave me in my youth, still pisses me off. My son lost one I gave him for crossover into boy scouts, twice. I found it in a ditch while running tractor, gave it back to him with a lecture. I failed. He lost it again after that. Nice Buck that would have lasted a lifetime.

WRT sharpening, I have gone to replaceable blades for field work. I can get a wild sharp blade on a Lansky, and spend a day doing it. The belt sanders are junk or I am incompetent, or both. I can get an edge on it I guess. But, the mobile sharpening dude who comes to the house and sharpens every knife for like 3 bucks a pop? Well, he's a hero. Razor sharp in no time and I don't lift a finger. I'm done. I call the dude and just put my head down when he shows up to sharpen my knives for me. So sharp though. When he's done the knives can cut the softest TP without effort.

View attachment 208093
I have these stashed everywhere, too.

Back