Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Kentucky Elk Hunt Deadline

Yettislayer

In case any of you want to try your luck in KY this year, today is the last day to apply for the elk quota hunt. $10 to apply, and you apply for the permit type you want (bull archery or firearms, cow archery or firearms, and also youth). You may apply for each permit type, but you may not apply for any permit type more than once. KY has no bonus/ preference points, and a maximum of 10% of the total permits may be awarded to non-residents. There are 710 permits available for the 2018 season. Last year's harvest success was down a bit (largely due to weather, IMO), but we usually see about 55-60% success averaged across all permit types. Drawing results will be up by May 15. https://fw.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx

My mountain 'hollar' kinfolk are going look at me like I'm a man possessed of with the Devil rum (which I may be) if I draw an Elk tag to hunt 'back in them there hills'! PA hasn't coughed up a tag yet, so another $20 for a couple of donations toward the cause still beats what you have to pay for just as much luck (0.001) drawing a Bull tag out west !

I put in and promptly forget about it. Ain't gonna happen, but I could come up with several worse things to do with $20 off the top of my head.

I have entered every year since the first hunt and have yet to win a tag. I have a neighbor who has won twice. That is the way of a true lottery draw, anyone can win. Good luck to everyone

I put in every year considering it's in my back yard pretty much. Saying that drawing a sheep tag has better odds.

Now that it's too late for you to apply, I'll point out a new entry at the top of Kentucky's trophy elk list: a 416 5/8 non-typical found in 2016 in Martin County. Even you western boys wouldn't let that fella walk past you!

Draw results will be visible at 5 PM EST today on your MyProfile.

Good luck to all, and feel free to message me if you're one of the lucky ones to pull a tag!

I never saw anything about this bull. have any pictures of it?

Now that it's too late for you to apply, I'll point out a new entry at the top of Kentucky's trophy elk list: a 416 5/8 non-typical found in 2016 in Martin County. Even you western boys wouldn't let that fella walk past you!

WOW ! Results already ? PA hasn't even opened the draw yet.

I mean it would really suck to put in for both and then get drawn for both !

NOT!

Draw results will be visible at 5 PM EST today on your MyProfile.

Live "drawing" (the actual selection is computer-generated) at noon EDT in Prestonsburg. Don't know if there's a live feed, but people there may repost.

I never saw anything about this bull. have any pictures of it?

Don't know anything about it, other than in showed up in the most recent KDFWR Elk Report. Would love to see it, though!

Yea, didn't figure the Prestonsburg drawing was really relevant to the HT masses... That bull was massive. Surely a photo will surface before long, surprised it didn't happen before the draw deadline!

I've been putting in for a bull tag the last 3 years. Good luck to everyone who put their name in the hat!

Tough odds but it's in my backdoor. Been applying since day one. Tag numbers have went down quite a bit.
No tag for me this year again....

Last edited:
Back