Caribou Gear Tarp

Kentucky Deadline Extended

G. McAlister

For any of you westerners who want to donate to the Kentucky elk fund, the deadline to apply for the drawing has been extended to midnight, Wednesday, May 3.

Last minute screw up with the computer systems from my understanding. Pretty low odds of drawing this year though. I think they dropped from around 900 tags to 700 tags.

bummer, so what you are saying is my odds went from .00000000009% to .00000000008%.

Looks about that way. Even as a resident you have less than a 1% chance at a firearms bull tag. So don't feel too bad.

A couple years ago the cow archery tag had odds of 1 in 66. They got my 40 bucks or whatever it was.

I wonder why the drastic cut in tags. By all accounts the herd was doing really well. I had read the commission becoming more strict, but tag reduction was not mentioned.

Not sure why the decrease. It's listed in the metrics for 2016 Kentucky Elk Report though. Herd is holding steady at about 11,000 animals.

There are claims that the numbers aren't holding at those marks, so I know they had UK do a flyover survey last month but I think the validity of that may be questioned.

I heard a recent number of 12-14,000 from a very reputable source!

I wondering if your source was the same Podcast I listen to?

This is the second year I have applied for this. I know I will most likely never get the draw. So with that I have other hunts planned. I am not sure what I would do if I drew it. I would imagine you just drop the other ones and make it a point to go because the of the low probability of drawing. It is the same with the New Hampshire moose hunt. I keep applying and planning other hunts.

Yes....I think that Kentucky may be a little conservative on their population numbers but I am not sure why the cut in tags. Its ok though as it just makes it sweeter when I draw this year. :)

does Kentucky have any preference points systems or anything like that? Or is it a straight lottery and luck of the draw?

Back