Yeti GOBOX Collection

2023 New Mexico Draw Results

New member to HT...like what I see so far on some of the threads. I have been researching Unit 51 in NM all morning. I drew a non resident tag (second archery). This will be my 2nd year hunting Elk. I hunted the Pagosa Springs area of Colorado last year...learned a lot and messed up on my only bull encounter I had in 2 weeks :( ! hoping for better luck this season

What do you know about 51? I was put in by a friend and found out in April I drew the second archery season. Super excited to see some new country, but I'm lost looking at maps for e-scouting this area. Best of luck on your adventure! I'd be happy to share my experience with you later if helpful.

New member to HT...like what I see so far on some of the threads. I have been researching Unit 51 in NM all morning. I drew a non resident tag (second archery). This will be my 2nd year hunting Elk. I hunted the Pagosa Springs area of Colorado last year...learned a lot and messed up on my only bull encounter I had in 2 weeks :( ! hoping for better luck this season
Hey brother! I drew the same second-season archery tag! I have hunted Idaho my entire life killing 19 bulls and 3 cows during archery seasons over the last 25 years. That being said
I'm really worried about this Unit 51 hunt as I e-scout I am becoming super overwhelmed.
A. It's a huge unit to hunt.
B. Seem to be tons of roads and I assume then people.
My experience has always been to get away from both of those, find water and you find quality elk.
Best of luck to you this season.

Hey brother! I drew the same second-season archery tag! I have hunted Idaho my entire life killing 19 bulls and 3 cows during archery seasons over the last 25 years. That being said
I'm really worried about this Unit 51 hunt as I e-scout I am becoming super overwhelmed.
A. It's a huge unit to hunt.
B. Seem to be tons of roads and I assume then people.
My experience has always been to get away from both of those, find water and you find quality elk.
Best of luck to you this season.
How did you do? On the first Sunday I called a young 5x5 in on a string with a cow call. He walked up to 20yds of me but I never drew my bow because I would have had to step away from a bush on my right side and he would have seen all my movements. I messed up in my initial set up and needed to have more trees around to conceal my movements...it was awesome though having him bugle then see those antler tips coming in! You are right about the roads and trails though...everywhere.

Drew unit 52 late October as my second choice. I about fell out of my chair at the office. Very excited to hunt New Mexico.
How did you hunt turn out? Looking at putting in for that area again this year.

How did everyone's hunts go this past year?
I’m still waiting for it to happen. Headed to SE NM this weekend to chase Barbary sheep on a tag I drew last spring. Solo DIY. Not sure what’s in store but it’s gonna be an adventure either way. Hoping to have a fraction of the success of @cgasner1.

Last edited:
I’m still waiting for it to happen. Headed to SE NM this weekend to chase Barbary sheep on a tag I drew last spring. Solo DIY. Not sure what’s in store but it’s gonna be an adventure either way. Hoping to a fraction of the success of @cgasner1.
I hope you do best of luck

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back