Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kansas HMA's

fiveptbill

Has anyone here ever hunted any of the HMA's in western Kansas? I drew a late rifle deer tag and am wondering if they are worth looking in to. There seems to be a lot of them and I figure I should be able to find one that doesn't have any people but maybe a good buck. I drew area 2 and 17. I have never killed a whitetail so any buck would be my biggest ever. Any help would be appreciated.

Plan on lots of people during gun season. Your better off to get a walk in hunting area atlas. Lots of good private land that you can hunt during certain times of year through that program . Watch last years episode of oyoa during the ks gun season.

Next year get a unit 1 tag and hunt with shaps ranch for under $2000 including lodging. A bargain when you concider the property and trophy potential.

If you want to hunt with less pressure try the early muzzleloader season.

Sorry that is what I meant. The atlas looks like there are plenty of areas. I have been trying to use google earth to get a little bit of a lay of the land in several of these areas. Is it best to be along creeks or are the ones out in the middle of no where better?

Plan on lots of people during gun season. Your better off to get a walk in hunting area atlas. Lots of good private land that you can hunt during certain times of year through that program . Watch last years episode of oyoa during the ks gun season.

Next year get a unit 1 tag and hunt with shaps ranch for under $2000 including lodging. A bargain when you concider the property and trophy potential.

If you want to hunt with less pressure try the early muzzleloader season.

Have you hunted with shaps before?

I did last year. Shad really works hard on his property. Last year a 177 inch wt was shot that turned out to be 2-1/2. You get to stay in the cabin on the property and hunt on your own. Nobody lives on the property so you have it to yourself. I took my wife and daughter last year and had a good time.

Sorry that is what I meant. The atlas looks like there are plenty of areas. I have been trying to use google earth to get a little bit of a lay of the land in several of these areas. Is it best to be along creeks or are the ones out in the middle of no where better?

There are a lot of flat crp fields with nothing much on them 6-8 inches of grass. Come a day early and drive to all the property you have marked and check them out. River beds are a good place to start.

Yes, they are worth looking at. Not all the areas were hit hard by drought like the SW so you can find good crp. Google earth is your best friend, look for cottonwood drainage's and you will find whitetail. Remember the wihas have been hit for almost a month with pheasant hunters by rifle season so keep that in mind. Don't forget the WMA's because since the walk in program started the WMA's have not been hit as hard.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back