PEAX Equipment

Just a positive comment about an old WY land owner and NR permission....

bigdonniebrasco

With so much negative in the news and on social media I wanted to post a quick positive comment.

I am hoping to take my wife out west for a fun antelope hunt this October. I have been researching an area for MANY months, and found a honey hole! In fact on google earth you can actually see antelope in several spots... the only problem is, it's land locked!

I did a lot of digging and found the land owner name, then dug up his contact info, and gave him a call. He actually had an answering machine! I left a message saying that I was hoping to access this certain piece of land this fall, but I didn't want to trespass on his property to get to it. I missed his return call last night so I called back this morning and spoke to his wife.

She said that they are fine with us driving across there property to access the public piece, and she was very nice about it!

Just wanted to share something good!

Don

Kinda restores my faith in people. Thanks for sharing, it is always good to hear about positive experiences with landowners!

Awesome, there are lots of landowners out there like this, don’t forget to send them a Christmas card.. etc..

Good to hear.

Before someone beats me to it, could you help a first time pronghorn hunter out with some info? All I need is unit number, a detailed map of the area, land owner name, and phone number that little bit of info sure would help a guy out. Thanks

Don’t forget to include my draw odds with zero points figured into it.

Just kidding.

Glad it worked out for you!

I would bet most landowners are more likely to work with you if you call way in advance like you did rather than a week or two before the season comes in. No landowner appreciates that.

Love the news! I think landowners will surprise you if you ask correctly. They will listen and also notice if you are polite. Rural people are salt of the earth type of people especially in eastern MT and western ND. I haven’t knocked on many doors in WY but I’m sure it’s similar in areas.

I second the idea of a gift and nice thank you note. This is not directed at anyone, but I think it's even more important the way you treat his property. If you open a gate, close it. Find a coke bottle, pick it up.
See a broke fence, try to mend it. Don't drive where you shouldn't, even if you have to break your azz to get a critter out. You get where I'm going.

rmauch20, that's some funny stuff...

The owner himself called me back last night and we BS'd for almost an hour! Great guy and long time family rancher. Also found out that he owns hundreds upon hundreds of acres of land in an adjoining unit, and his sister owns a massive amount of land in the unit I plan on hunting! He invited my wife and I to come stay at his place in October! Feeling pretty fortunate to have stumbled across this guy.

I know for a fact that I could have driven across this 200 foot stretch of private and not gotten caught... I guess honesty does pay sometimes.

There are a lot of great landowners that have a conservation mindset and are hunter friendly as long as we as a group are not jackasses and rut up roads and leave trash around.

On another site i've posted several times about the luck i've had gaining permission to hunt on private land, some lands that i had been warned off even trying because of salty owners. Well this past NR pronghorn hunt in Wy., the best buck my pard and i found in 10 long days of glassing bucks, had moved onto private and our return trips found him on private as well. Nothing to do but go knock on the ranchers door. Half hour later i left with the strong impressions of the old mans handshake and written permission to the run of his properties. It still pays off to knock on those doors.

Seriously can you find out if his sister is married? With enough acres age is not an issue for me.

If my wife somehow read this I’m just kidding honey. Love you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back