Job offer in Casper

St52v

My oldest brother was just offered a job driving truck for UPS in Casper. He lives and Pa and loves to hunt and the west. He has made two trips and can't get enough. He has driven big trucks for years. He is curently hauling coal for a local power plant. Any advise would be welcomed. Thanks

My neighbor worked for UPS and retired in his mid 40's. If he wants to hunt out west I say go for it, obviously family and friends may play a part.

Well I really hope he likes wind, windchills, and tire chains.

Civilization is about a 3.5 hour drive to Colorado but at least its kinda in the middle of Wyoming, so he's not too far from everything.

I grew up in Casper. It's not the neat little town it once was, but there are some fantastic opportunities for pronghorn, deer & elk along with one of the best tailwater trout fisheries in the west.

But it's windy. Learn how to hold dope on 30 mph winds and how to cast a fly sideways. :)

If I were him I would take it. Casper has grown quite a bit and has plenty of services and a lot of hunting and fishing opportunities. Heck it even has a Sportsman Warehouse.

I spent a lot of time there over a couple of years with projects we had going on and thought it was a real pleasant place.

Even with it's downsides, I've not been to anyplace in PA, granted I haven't been through much of PA, that I would like better.

Casper seems like a nice place matter of fact that's pretty much anywere in WY or MT in my book. There is a job open in Great Falls,MT. in my agency I have been picking at the wife for a month to allow me to apply for. I would die to put in for it and head out west instead I just sit here and dream everyday until the job closes next week. Maybe some day any suggestions on ways to convince her out there?

I just moved from Cheyenne WY (similar to Casper weather wise) to Las Vegas. The wind in Wyoming is really something. It is very hard to define what the wind is like. It was the deal breaker for my wife and young son. There is very little diversity in the state. Not sure if he would like or dislike that? You will need to travel to Colorado for many major stores and services.

Those are about the only bad things I can say. Now on to hunting....it is simply amazing. If you are into archery, you can elk hunt from Sept 1 through mid November with very little effort. Deer areas are harder to find but if you look hard, you will be amazed. I had a spot that you could see 180 class bucks every year. It was nothing shot of phenomenal. Antelope is crazy easy and they are almost a problem. They would sleep on our porch, eat all of our landscaping and tear up our trees.

The fishing was great.

Best of luck to your brother.

Casper is one of the few WY towns west of the divide that I would consider living in.

I'd rather live in Casper than anywhere east of......Wyoming. Would I move there from billings? No. But maybe down the road he could move to Sheridan or Cody. Ah Sheridan!!!!!!

Born and raised in Casper, couldn't pay me enough to go back. Way too windy! I didn't know UPS drivers had time to hunt. Lol

I think that at one time it had one of the highest rates of suicide in the U.S. due to the wind. I am not positive that is a fact, but I heard/read it somewhere. I would still move there for a job, as it is big enough to have services, but still offers close hunting and some good fishing. Everywhere that you live has tradeoffs. I will take the western tradeoffs any time.

Living in Phoenix ,I had a Guy and His family move in next to Me. He was 42, Born and raised I think in Laramie. He was a butcher for Safeway. He said He moved to AZ. cause He was just plain tired of the wind, and no other reason. OH! He did like to see the sun too. Me I grew up 21 years in Western Pa. left in 77 and never considered going back. Western hunting is so much more fun, diverse. and more scenic. As far as I'm concerned I could care less if I ever seen any States east of the Rockies the rest of My life.. So yes I would move to Casper from PA. for the western hunting.............BOB!

Back