Caribou Gear Tarp

Jeep as a hunting/fishing/camping rig

It did seem odd to take a week out of September, and not be hunting or fishing!

But it was a good trip, with good guys.

My last three hunting rigs have been Big Blue (91 F350), Da Bomb (95 YJ) and now Doug (92 Dodge W150). I did love the maneuverability of the YJ but I simply LOVE having an 8 foot bed with a cap on it. I can carry everything I need with lots of room to spare. While there are some places it can't go that the YJ could fit I HATE towing trailer in general ....let alone off piste. Throw in that Doug, full size with a V8, gets BETTER mpg than the YJ with a dang 4 cylinder.....and I can sleep very comfy in the bed if need be. Have to admit that Rubi capabilities are awesome :)

You can get a good deal on a Jeep right now.

Jeep has pretty consistently had reliability issues as of late, there is a reason why Jeep has dynamite incentives right now and people are deciding to go a different route.

I think it would be better to go with a different brand. A toyota tacoma, nissan frontier (about the only quality thing that Nissan makes), Ford Ranger, etc.

I looked into getting a Jeep Renegade, but the reliability made me look in another direction.

There are a lot of hunting and fishing areas where you could get by with a cross over with higher ground clearance and getting 25+ mpg could make it a bargain.

If Jeep were more reliable, the two door would be a lot better than buying a 30k side by side.

It is really unfortunate, because Jeeps look great, have the capability of being great, and really can fit a need.

Reactions: Guy
This is my Jeep Patriot with the FD-II 4x4 package. It’s Trail Rated but has more storage space and gets better gas mileage than the Wrangler. It makes a great hunting rig, but unfortunately Jeep stopped making the Patriot in 2017 and didn’t replace it with anything as good.

IMG_1012.jpeg

Reactions: Guy
I have a 2015 Rubicon w/ 3.5” lift on 35s. Has taken us everywhere we’ve wanted to go so far.

Before I got it I was debating a side by side, but I’m glad I went Jeep route. No need of a trailer and enclosed cab with heat and A/C is sweet.

Glad to see that some folks found this old thread that I started in 2018 re my 2012 Jeep.

Here we are in 2024, and I still use the Jeep regularly. Only real change is that I've gone back to stock Jeep 17" rims and tallish/skinnier tires (about a 32 or 33" x 10") They're Cooper ST MAXX tires - which I fear may be going out of production. Good tires, am on my second set.

Jeep has taken me on several more hunting, fishing, camping, photography trips. Continues to be reliable and still very good off-pavement. It's got over 130,000 miles on it now and is 12 years old. Still cruising along just fine and still fun to drive.

s24kXNQl.jpg

Regards, Guy

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back