Jake's First "Duck"!!

Buschy

I took Jakey and Julia out last Saturday for an afternoon of jumpshooting ducks and an evening in the blind for deer.

My son really wanted to get his first duck in the worst way and worked hard making some great sneaks with me. He had two opportunities and missed, which is to be expected when he is just starting out. I was impressed that he analyzed what he did wrong after the failed sneaks and laid out plans to give himself a better opportunity the next time. He was quickly learning that you learn from your mistakes and make adjustments as needed! The next sneak, two ducks flew right as he was getting ready to shoot. As soon as they flew, three coots swam out of the grass right in front of him. He asked if he could shoot and I gave him the green light. Two shots later he had his first "duck", er coot, floating on the water and he was estatic!!! I waded in to get it and he could hardly believe his good fortune. I have no doubt Jakey will take a lot of game in the future, but you can bet he won't forget this!!

Later in the afternoon they both had a blast catching salamanders. You just can beat that for fun if your a kid!!

That evening we had five deer from 4 to 12 yards from the blind, including a dandy 4x4 WT buck, but they wouldn't give Jakey the shot he needed with his bow. The kid is thoroughly hooked and can't waited to get out again. He is going to be tough on the critters in the next few years!! His sister likes going with to "hunt" salamanders, climb hay bales, and sit on dad's lap in the deer blind. She does not have a drive to hunt herself, but loves the outdoors.

You just can't beat days like that!!

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 235
Hey Buschy...those are great pics...look at the smiles on both of them.
That has to rank waaaaay high in your 'memories' of GREAT hunts. yep...looks like hes hooked...lol....tell him congrats on his 1st 'duck'...and dont count your daughter out...she may be ready to pull a trigger soon too!

I mean seriouisly... Koot and lizzards ?!?!?! THATS AWESOME !!! :D :D :D I'm offended you said fun for "KIDS" becasue I'd have a hoot as well :p

Great looking kids and the smiles say it all. Good job Buschy. Those memories being made last a lifetime. The gift that keeps on giving. Kids and the outdoors!

4 to 12 yards and NO SHOT!!! Oh man! that had to be nerve racking. Great pics and I hope he gets his first buck soon...good luck

no matter what, I'll bet they remember it forever..thanks for getting the kids out from in front of the tube, it'll make our lives better later.

Buschy...4 and 12 yards...that figures he is just like his dad...Jakey wanted to shot his first deer at 40 to 60 yards! Awesome pictures...say hi to the kids!

Your daughter may not hunt, but she is far tougher than I, I would never touch a salamander, yick.

Nice pics.

I still remember the first Rooster pheasant I ever shot. I would bet I could walk you within 20' of the exact spot all these years later.

Congrats on a great day with kids.

Looks like a fine day out with two future hunters. Congrats! Thanks for sharing the pics. Keep them coming!

Cool. Is it just me or does it seem like Salamanders are not as common as they were when I was a kid?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back