It Has Begun!!!

Sweet pics!

Pardon my ignorance here, but whats the deal with the sign on the tree?

It is a lunch and dinner menu. The wine list is on the opposite side of the tree. :D All kidding aside, it is the Alaska Dept 0f FG bait registration form...part of the process to have a legal bait stand.

Nightwolf...Watch the tides. Don't catch yourself high and dry.

Whittier a flop

We saw about 4 bear, I shot at one and missed at 200 yards|oo . It rained the whole time and my boat went on the fritz the minute it hit the water. So all and all not a real pleasent experiance. We did good with the tides though ;). I must say they were not as extreme as Valdez was. I do have pics of the area however. enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 175
Ovis I got a Damn Sow and 3 cubs coming in again!! Same size as when you baited at the skinny bait. Bout 1 to 2 year olds.

Attachments

• PIC0002.JPG
    PIC0002.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 148
  • PIC0005.JPG
    PIC0005.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 159
  • PIC0039.JPG
    PIC0039.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 155
I Got His AZZ!!

Well I went in to kill mosquitoes. Things on the bait had slowed down. I hadn’t seen a boar on the trail cam for several weeks. I went in with a friend and just setup to relax. I had my mosquito mashing trap set up and made it up to 45 successful one smash kills. Tonight was somehow different; I told myself that I need to take my sling off my gun once in the tree. I also decided if I heard a noise I would setup and be ready to shoot. I usually just watch, wait and see. Well around 9:30 he decided to periscope up his head a couple times. This means he was standing up on the other side of a hill so all you could see was his melon. Then a few minutes later he walks up the hill heading to the bait. By this time the cross hairs are trained on him. I waited for him to turn broad side. He did so but was about to leave because the wind switched. But he was to slow as the 250 grain Noslar from my .338 Win Mag struck again!!! It was a lot of fun but what was even funnier was playing with the sow and cubs who would not give up on coming into our bait while we tried to tend to the bear. I dropped him off to the taxidermy Saturday. The taxidermists squared him at just better then 6 1/2 foot. The big surprise is the skull will most likely going well over 18 inches which would have been pope and young had I not been lazy and carried the gun in that night rather them my bow. I will get the official numbers soon and let you all know. But thank you guys for all the good luck wishes you sent. I was finally able to connect on my first black bear kill, and a beauty at that!!!

Attachments

• Black1.jpg
    Black1.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Black3.jpg
    Black3.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Black2.jpg
    Black2.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 127
Will this bear become a "Internet Legend":D

I heard he chased you for 3 miles before you were able to kill him with your pocket knife??:D

Nice Bear and great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

After his Hitchenbrook experience Ted only baits with human remains:D

And spring is when the tourists start showing up. Hmmm? Could be a connection

Measurements

Official measurements on the bear....

Squared 7' 2"
Estimated live weight around 500lbs
Skull measurements 19 4/16

The trail camera revealed last night that I have another boar coming in that is as big if not bigger coming in to the bait. But this is a one bear area so I’m done for the baiting season. I started cleaning up last night and will continue tonight.

500 lbs? I'd have to say that's a bit of an over estimation for a spring bear. At 7'2", thats a big bear in any part of Alaska though. Isn't baiting over tomorrow anyways? Congrats on a big bear........again!

Estimated live weight!!! this isn't a a 5 foot or a 6 foot bear and yes it is spring but bears have been out for qquite a while and doing nothing but eating and pooping.

No ticks.
At least not native ones. A few imports come up with animals from the lower 48 but don't survive their first winter.
There are supposed to be fleas south of Ketchikan, in the far southern end of south-east Alaska but generally AK is free of ticks and fleas, as well as snakes or other reptiles or poisonous spiders. We do have one type of frog but it too lives down in the flea country

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildernesstracker
Back